Snake gaiters

Husker hunter

If I end up drawing my antelope tag, I'm considering getting some sort of snake protection. Anyone have suggestions?

Won’t do much good when you’re army crawling and come face to face with one. Really, I wouldn’t worry about it. All I’ve ever seen are hot, heavy, and uncomfortable.

I have been to Wyoming to hunt antelope 5 times and have yet to see a snake while hunting. Don't over think the snakes. Be very cautious of where you walk and crawl and always look ahead. You should be fine by just being attentive.

In that case, buy the cheapest ones you can find, make sure she sees you pack them and then leave them in the truck during the hunt. ;)

This. I'm much more worried about the little cactus than a snake. As others have said, you will get bit from putting your hands before you get bit in the leg......statistically anyway.

Just a note, from 47 and 32, we stopped and got this little guy out of the highway in 32. He had his tail run over. We saw 3 rattlesnakes in the highway in one little section of roadway.
Chances are you won't see any while hunting , but if you do watch out for more than one. Some basins are too high elevation for them but this snake was down in elevation in Bate's Hole from Shirley Basin.
Our prairie rattlers are not aggressive and sometimes do not buzz a warning, we move them from people areas without killing them if possible. Snake gaiters are helpful but watching your step is all that is necessary.
If you hunt from a pit blind, look down before getting in it.

DSCN1533 (960x720).jpg

Movies and irrational fear have WAY over-blown a snakes desire/ability to envenomate humans. Pretty much any quality boot will prevent envenomation from even a large prairie rattler. Prairie rattlers are pretty small, and unless you are on all fours, you're not gonna get tagged any higher than even a low cut boot. A lot of people don't realize it, but upwards of 40% of rattlesnake bites are "dry bites" (no venom). The exception is neonates (babies) they don't have the same dose specific venom control as adults.
I have spent 40+ years going out of my way to find snakes for various reasons, and it's not easy. In my opinion,you're chances of finding a Booner antelope are higher than your chances of getting tagged by a snake.

I agree with almost everything you said bdb except the size thing. We do have very large prairie rattlers, excess of 56" inches and they can hit you above a low cut boot. The very young ones we have found to be the most aggressive, usually just fear strikes.
All of these snakes are at least 3 ft long and as you can see when they get on a rock pile they will be at shin or knee level. We found these checking irrigation, crossing the ranch road and in the highway. All at elevation of less than 7,000 ft.

DSCN0782 (960x720).jpgDSCN0784 (960x720).jpgDSCN9732 (1080x810).jpgDSCN9737 (960x720).jpgDSCN8950 (960x720).jpg

Last edited:
Yep... I agree, I shouldn't have generalized :)

Didn't think about walking past one perched up on a rock.

I like that picture of the one on the rock!

You are pretty spot on. We are pretty snake friendly so we look for them. I'm willing to bet a big bull snake would send most running for cover too. 4 1/2 ft at least on this guy.

DSCN1486 (960x720).jpgDSCN1487 (960x720).jpg

I'm in AZ and picked up a set of the True Timber gaiters at Bass Pro, I think they were $40. Compared to my previous set of K&H's I got from Cabelas, these are fantastic. Nice and light(ish) and wrap around my leg with cloth rather than cloth covered plates which are too rigid and heavy for hiking. I've been wearing them more for the cactus and other poky plants here in the Sonoran, but they also give me some peace of mind against the 17 species of venomous snakes here

Walkingbird, those help with the cactus pretty well?
Actually glad we don't have 17 species of poisonous snakes up here. Love those big diamondbacks down in the Tucson area.

Your money will be much better spent on cactus resistant knee pads and gloves

So true, if only they made ones that were truly cactus resistant. Knee pads can be found but gloves, even the needle resistant ones don't offer much protection. Look before you crawl.
The knee pads with a hard surface work well but are noisy.

I am in NO way affiliated or compensated by this Duluth trading, but I have these pants and I have ABUSED them in cacti, honey locust, briars, thorns, cat-claw etc. I have even crawled on my knees through prickly pear and not a SINGLE poke!! And they are comfy!
No way in hell a snake is biting through this stuff!!!! Eliminate the need for gaiters!

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fire-hose-briar-pants-20201.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back