Caribou Gear Tarp

prepping for meat packing

corndog1

Has anyone found an item that roughly simulates the weight and awkward shape of an elk quarter to throw in the pack over the simmer?

Last year I carried my kid on my back. After 5 miles I was almost dead. I didn't do it enough but it was one hell of a workout.

I just drink a bunch of beer. Then come fall, I have plenty of carbohydrates to power me up and down the mountain after elk quarters.;)

When I used to train like that I used the big bags of rice or beans from sam's club. In all seriousness though, be careful. That kind of abuse over a sustained period time can cause damage. Doing it once on a hunt is one thing, but 3-4 times a week over months can put the hurt on. I have knee problems now and I think its from this kind of training. I think you'd be much better suited to sticking to a good cardio program, lift some weights, and most importantly use diet to get the extra weight off.

Last edited:
I like the 40# sacks of wood pellets. They are shaped very much like a bag of boned meat like the sand bag. They work well for me as I usually have a couple left after the winter burning season. Two make a good load for this 60 year old!

Water is a very good analog. Hike it up, dump it out, come back down.

I used driveway salt. Man did I get looks walking on the treadmill at the gym with a packframe strapped with 40# bags of salt. Usually just did 1 but sometimes add a 10 or 20# weight or another salt bag

I go to the bottom of this place to fish a bunch. That and some nasty hikes across the street from the house prep me for hunting. I alos ride my mtn bike and ski. Year round exercise is a key.

Sand bags are the best in my experience. You can fill as little or as much as you can possibly carry in a few bags. I ordered a bulk pack on amazon a while back super cheap.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back