Nov/Dec Rifle or OTC archery for first AZ coues deer trip?

RidgeRebel

My brother and I are planning on a coues deer hunt this year in AZ. We are considering putting in for a Nov/Dec 100% draw odds tag for the slightly higher success rate, but I am now second guessing if we should go archery and hunt the rut. We have archery hunted some, but really we are looking for the best chance to be successful. Would you guys recommend the earlier rifle or Jan archery to have the best chance at taking a coues buck?

Thanks
Bob

Speaking from very limited experience, I would go during an earlier rifle season. I made my first trip down there this past season, and we had 3 opportunities at bucks in 6 days, one of which was a pretty good one.

I think archery would be incredibly difficult, even during the rut. Fun, I'm sure, but if the ultimate goal is to bring something home better odds are with the rifle.

I second LCH's comments. I hunted coues for the first time on a late rifle tag last year (coincided with the late OTC archery hunt). It was a good challenge with a rifle - I suspect you would need a lot of time and probably some luck to pattern and ambush a buck with archery equipment (stalking seemed almost impossible with the dry vegetation and grave-type soil).

It is a tremendously fun hunt.

Randy has tried the archery spot and stalk Coues the last two years, and I don't think he's even had a shot opportunity yet? Though he's been close.

I don't have any experience in hunting coues deer but have been researching alot about them. I am considering burning a few points on a rifle hunt and if I don't draw will possibly get an archery tag but sounds like archery will deffinately be more challenging.

Looking like rifle is what we will be working on. I just bought a pair of 18x56 Vortex Kiababs to put to work. Another question if you guys don't mind, we are going to try to backpack into a wilderness area but I am concerned about reliable water to filter. What's the best way to determine if a water source on a map is reliable other than the obvious, boots on the ground. Would a biologist give that info? what do you guys look for on a map or google earth to ensure reliable water? Thanks for the help.

Coues are within walking distance of a dirt road. Car camp and do day hunts. Not enough water. January archery hunts will yield more opportunities for spot & stalk but very difficult to pull off. A December rifle hunt is no guarantee of rut activity. I've seen rut action in late December, and I've seen it not kick in until February. Even right after Christmas with temps in the teens and no rut action.

If you want the best chances of being successful then the rifle hunt will be your best chance. There is a reason why the archery hunts are OTC, they can be challenging especially if you don't have experience in hunting coues. They are move visible in late Jan but that doesn't necessarily make them an easier to hunt with a bow. The kiababs are a good start for coues deer hunting, make sure you also get a good tripod with a decent head because glassing is king when is comes to coues deer hunting. Not to much help on the water issues, like glass eye said coues are within walking distance of a road and there is lots of roads in AZ. Just gotta find a place that takes a little work to get to and you will do fine.

Back