Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Brass

HighDesertSage

So I'm going to restock myself with some brass for my 3 hunting rifles. I haven't been happy with the performance I am getting with Hornady so I am looking to switch it up. I've heard Lapua is good, but they don't make it in my calibers. Has anyone tried the stuff from Norma?

Norma is 2nd best IMHO only to lapua. What calibers are you looking for?

I grade Norma, nosler, Lapua, weatherby all about same it's also somewhat caliber dependent. I have recently started using starline rifle brass, always been good in my pistols but pleased with results in rifle so far and it's cheaper.

I use Starline in my 454 & 45-70. I've had no problems with it and the price is good. Order it direct from Starlinebrass.com

Dan

Depends on what you're shooting. I think there are US manufacturers that make as good or better than Lapua in specific cases but you're going to have to pay a premium still. ADG, Alpha Munitions, Peterson Cartridge come to mind.

i'll be an outlier here... PPU brass has treated me fantastically. I'm huntin on a budget so 100 rounds for 55 bucks and it shoots well below MOA... I'm sold.

i'll be an outlier here... PPU brass has treated me fantastically. I'm huntin on a budget so 100 rounds for 55 bucks and it shoots well below MOA... I'm sold.

I've tried PPU in 7mmRemMag and 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 seems to be decent however for the price I'd much prefer Starline or Hornady. The 7mmRemMag was absolute junk. I tossed nearly 30% on initial inspection for various reasons like split necks, brass defects, case head thickness irregularities which created a lot of runout when sizing, and inconsistent primer pockets. I ordered from Cabelas and they made things right. My personal experience, I would put PPU somewhere between random picked up range brass and the lowest quality US made stuff you can think of.

Last edited:

I've not had great luck with PPU, and generally run about 50% case failure after 1 or 2 loading's, if I can get the crimp in the primer pocket taken out. But I am a fan of cheap as well. Most of my brass is Remington or Winchester. If I can get loads below 1 inch, the brass has proven itself. My Norma brass is all for European cartridges that are tough to find in the usual, less expensive stuff.

I just ordered 200 rounds of SIG brand 308 Win match brass at the recommendation of a friend.

It is by far the most consistent brass I have used. 51 in each bag. Machined primer pocket. Very small variations in weight and lengths. From my notes, it's 4x tighter tolerances in weight variations from the last batch of brass (RP) in my STW.

I have yet to load and reload them, but out of the gate, I am very impressed with Sig's new brass manufacturing (US made).

Last edited:
I used PPU in my 7mm-08 AI. Did 10 reloads in them. No issues.
Using PPU in 7mm Rem Mag. 4 reloadings thus far. No issues.
Ppu 7X57 Mauser for my 257 Roberts. No issues.

I do have Norma brass for my 284 Win.
Hornady for my 250 Savage. Also used for 257 Roberts and 7mm-08AI.
Have used Nosler brass in the 7mm-08 AI.

Pretty much i've found not much, if any, difference in accuracy or life.
Treat it right, and it will treat you right.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am loading for a 270 win, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag. I'm going to pick up some Norma. Thanks for the feedback.

I just ordered 200 rounds of SIG brand 308 Win match brass at the recommendation of a friend.

It is by far the most consistent brass I have used. 51 in each bag. Machined primer pocket. Very small variations in weight and lengths. From my notes, it's 4x tighter tolerances in weight variations from the last batch of brass (RP) in my STW.

I have yet to load and reload them, but out of the gate, I am very impressed with Sig's new brass manufacturing (US made).
I have been wondering about sig brass, just picked up a new 22-250 might have to try some of it after seeing this.

I've tried PPU in 7mmRemMag and 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 seems to be decent however for the price I'd much prefer Starline or Hornady. The 7mmRemMag was absolute junk. I tossed nearly 30% on initial inspection for various reasons like split necks, brass defects, case head thickness irregularities which created a lot of runout when sizing, and inconsistent primer pockets. I ordered from Cabelas and they made things right. My personal experience, I would put PPU somewhere between random picked up range brass and the lowest quality US made stuff you can think of.

interesting.... maybe a bad batch. I haven't had a single issue and they've been reloaded ALOT

I used Norma 7mm Rem Mag brass years ago, good stuff but expensive. Tried Federal and for what ever reason never liked it. Winchester is my favorite. Inexpensive and works very well. Remington I'v always found good also. I live in a situation where I'd have to buy it off the interner or from a store about 70 mi away one way. Don't usually see much other brass than Winchester and once in a while Remington. Ya know, I shop at the Sportsman's Whse in Bend Ore and don't recall seeing Nosler brass in it. maybe just over looked it. My opinion on brass iss Winchester and Remington have both been around a long time, has to be a reason for that. Norma has been around a long time but seldom see it. Likely because it's to expensive for the average guy. I have used other brand's of brass now and then but not a lot. In my 243, 308 and 30-06 I use a lot of military brass. lake City is my favorite. Have a lot of FA 46 in 30-06 and no complaints. I think the best brass you can get is that which you can afford.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back