Caribou Gear Tarp

MR Metcalf or Selway

shall12matt

New to posting on the forum. I am looking at getting a Mystery Ranch pack. I’ve been looking at both the Metcalf and the Selway. Right now I’m mainly doing deer and antelope hunts but hope to get out elk hunting in the next few years. I’m looking to buy one pack and was hoping to get peoples opinions on whether they would get the bigger pack or would the Selway be enough. Thanks in advance!

Really depends on how much gear you need to haul. The frame is all the same. You should check out the Mule if you are just doing dayhunt, small game. Keep in mind that you can buy the Mule bag later, but not every bag will be offered individually.

Largely depends on how you'll use it. I have a Metcalf and a Longbow bag. The Metcalf is more than adequate for backpack hunts up to 7-9 days. The Longbow will get you a few days at a time, but you'll look like the Beverly Hillbillies unless you have state of the art space saving gear.

Thanks for the responses! I hope to start doing some longer (5-7 days) backpack style hunts starting next year. Would the Selway be big enough for that or would the lack of room be frustrating. I think I’m leaning toward the metcalf for the extra room and not significantly more cost.

Depends on your gear, but it's a hell of a lot easier to make a bigger bag smaller by compressing it than it is to make a smaller bag bigger.

If you are doing the 5-7 days, I'd opt for the Metcalf. FWIW, I have compressed it down and use it as my daypack too.

As others have stated, if you are looking at 5-7 days, I would go with the Metcalf. But, and not to confuse things, the Selway is about 550 cu in smaller, and a pound lighter at 5 pounds total pack weight. Same Guide Light frame on both, and obviously the Overload Shelf MR is known for is found on both packs for packing meat. You could boost your overall volume by using a 20-30 Liter drybag in the load shelf on the Selway if so inclined.

I have used a Metcalf for a lot of seasons, and with the lid removed, it cinches down nicely for a dawn to dusk day hunter. And the Pintler and Mule are bag only options, so you have two really good smaller day pack sizes. Decisions, decisions!

The dry bag on the shelf is certainly an option. Just remember you will want the shelf for meat on the pack out.

OP, if you really want to know, order the pack. If you can get all your gear in the bag, minus food, it should work for you. I don’t mind some shit strapped on the outside, but the more you have the more you increase your chances of losing something, damaging it, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back