Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

DIY Caribou Hunting Video

mr_steve

I went on my first caribou hunt last year and put a video together. I moved to Fairbanks last summer so I let my friend Shayne from ND hunt first as I should get to do more hunting this year now that I will be a resident. It was a great experience and some amazing country, absolutely jaw dropping. I'm excited for this Fall! I hope you enjoy the video.

Anyone else done the Haul Road hunt before? If anyone is planning a trip feel free to ask me questions.

[video=youtube_share;YH31QuWb1m4]https://youtu.be/YH31QuWb1m4[/video]

dalton highway-2.jpg

I flew out with 70 north up there several years ago that is one awesome place. I've wanted to go back ever since. Awesome video thanks!

I lived in Fairbanks, North Pole actually, for five years. I used to love my marathon weekend hunts up the haul road. Took some really good footage one year, but left the camcorder tape with all the best footage laying in the tundra after i had to swap tapes while filming a good bull.

I will be back there someday hopefully.

I lived in Fairbanks, North Pole actually, for five years. I used to love my marathon weekend hunts up the haul road. Took some really good footage one year, but left the camcorder tape with all the best footage laying in the tundra after i had to swap tapes while filming a good bull.

I will be back there someday hopefully.

It's definitely a marathon! My pickup will never be the same after that trip. With all the rain it caked that mud in everywhere. Worth it though! How was the herd when you hunted up there? Everyone says it's down from the glory years. We felt lucky to find the bulls we did.

I always had something to chase, so there was no shortage of stocks. But I was using an old ass bow that I wasn't comfortable shooting past about 45 yards. So it was a chore. The last year I hunted it we took a jet boat ride up the Sag to try and get past the 5-mile corridor and rifle hunt. Found (3) small bulls out that far, but ended up running back in to the road system and hunting from the truck for the majority of the trip. There were lots of Caribou a mile or two from the road. No bulls taken though. Its a tough hunt for sure.

Was this during bow season? Would a non-resident be able to do this with a rifle? Seems like you would have had a lot of opportunities with a rifle.

Not quite as easy as you think. They call it the "death march" for good reason. You can only bow hunt within the 5 mile corridor area. To rifle hunt you have to hike beyond that on tundra ground. We shot ours about two miles from camp and it was the worst packout I've ever experienced hands down. And it was all down hill and flat. That country will fool you in a major way. On top of that you could pack camp out 5 miles and see zero bou.

Great video, I cant wait to see the next one when you go back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back