Hunting Rifle Magazine Capacity

SCliving Outdoors

Hey guys,

Are any of you aware of any states that have restrictions on hunting rifle detachable magazine capacity? I'm not talking about a crazy high capacity mag (30 rounds). I mean a detachable 5 round mag. I'm going to start western hunting this season and I do everything by the book. The last thing I want to do is break a reg. I always read the regs before I go some where new, but I though I would ask and see if anyone knows of anything.

Nothing in the Washington State regs, but I'm not sure too many think of Washington as a destination western hunting state.

Some Montana law changes from last season-

https://www.judnichlaw.com/montana-hunting-laws-2017/

Rifle/Gun

You can use any caliber of rifle– whether it’s a handgun or shotgun. Thanks to a recent change in the law, there are no longer any restrictions on magazines or ammunition capacity. You can have as many rounds as you want in your gun.

There are also no longer any restrictions on semi-automatic or AR-15 style weapons.

Ohio requires a 3 rnd max for rifle deer hunting. Fed's require the same for water fowl.

I'd think that guideline would serve you very well no matter what state you hunt.

Personally, if I've missed 3X already I'm gonna give the animal a freebee and let 'em grow bigger, or at least chase them again at another time!

As far as I know, in CA, it’s 10 rounds unless you are bird hunting. Shotguns are limited to 3 shells and have to have a tube plug in.

Ohio requires a 3 rnd max for rifle deer hunting. Fed's require the same for water fowl.

I'd think that guideline would serve you very well no matter what state you hunt.

Personally, if I've missed 3X already I'm gonna give the animal a freebee and let 'em grow bigger, or at least chase them again at another time!

Walking up on an Ohio whitetail is one thing, but walking up on a downed bear in a deadfall area, or the like is where the extra rounds come in.

That would be interesting if it is a 3 round max in the rifle, or if you can't use a rifle capable of holding more than 3 (like waterfowl) given Tikka mags hold 3, meaning 3+1 when one is in the chamber. How many arrows can you have on your quiver? :)

Walking up on an Ohio whitetail is one thing, but walking up on a downed bear in a deadfall area, or the like is where the extra rounds come in.

That would be interesting if it is a 3 round max in the rifle, or if you can't use a rifle capable of holding more than 3 (like waterfowl) given Tikka mags hold 3, meaning 3+1 when one is in the chamber. How many arrows can you have on your quiver? :)

Ohio is like an overprotective mom when it comes to making hunting regulations. But I guess I tag out every year so I'll shutup.:cool:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back