Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Zinke Announces Members Of The Hunting And Shooting Sports Conservation Council

Wrong Burgundy

Saw this release this morning.

Thoughts on the intent/effectiveness/goals of the Council as a whole, and the appointed members? There are a few names on there that raised eyebrows. It seems heavy on industry "pros" and a bit light on wildlife management experts.

Here is the list of members:

Mike Budzik – Retired Chief of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Chris Cox – Executive Director of the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA)
Jeff Crane- President of Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation (CSF)
John Devney – Vice President of U.S. Policy for Delta Waterfowl
Dan Forester – Vice President and Chief Conservation Officer for the Archery Trade Association
Ward “Trig” French – Chairman of the Hunter’s Leadership Forum
Julie Golob -World and National Shooting Champion, Team Smith & Wesson
John Green -CEO of Crossroads Strategies; Board member of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation; Former Policy Advisor for the Senate Majority Leader- specifically in conservation policy
Dale Hall – CEO of Ducks Unlimited and former Director of the USFWS
Blake Henning – Chief Conservation Officer for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Graham Hill – Principal and Founding Partner- Ice Miller Strategies LLC; Board of Directors for the National Rifle Association
Larry Keane – Senior Vice President for Governmental and Public Affairs, Assistant Secretary, and General Counsel for National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF); General Counsel, Corporate Secretary for Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institutes, Inc (SAAMI); Serves on Board of Directors for Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation
Bob Model – Former President of the Boone and Crockett Club Miles Moretti President and CEO of the Mule Deer Foundation and a previous Deputy Director of Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources
Collin O’Mara – President and CEO of the National Wildlife Federation
Donald Peay – Founder and Former CEO of the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW)
Eva Shockey – Co-Host of Jim Shockey’s Hunting Adventures on Outdoor Channel
David Spady – President of the Liberty and Property Rights Coalition

ALTERNATES

Jack Atcheson – Board member of the National Wild Sheep Foundation
John Banks – Director of the Department of Natural Resources for the Penobscot Indian Nation
Becky Humphries – CEO of National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF)
Rob Keck – Director of Conservation for Bass Pro Shops
Paul Phillips- President, Founder, Co-owner- Pac/West Communications
Keith Tidball – Professor- Cornell University, Natural Resources and Environment
Jana Waller – Host of Skull Bound TV on Sportsmen Channel and Hunting Guide
Kristy Titus – Host of Pursue the Wild; Board Member of the National Rifle Association’s Hunting and Wildlife Conservation Committee
Dianna Muller – Captain of Team Benelli; World and National Champion competitor shooter
Wayne Hubbard – Co-Founder of Urban American Outdoors TV (UAOTV)
Mark Williams – Commissioner of Georgia’s Department of Natural Resources
The Council, which will meet twice a year, is strictly advisory and the duties will consist of providing recommendations for implementation of Executive Order No. 13443 (E.O.): Facilitation of Hunting Heritage and Wildlife Conservation, Secretarial Order No. 3347: Conservation Stewardship and Outdoor Recreation, and Secretarial Order No. 3356 (S.O.): Hunting, Fishing, Recreational Shooting, and Wildlife Conservation Opportunities and Coordination with States, Tribes, and Territories.

Recommendations from the Council to the Secretary of the Interior and Secretary of Agriculture shall include, but not be limited to policies and programs that:

Conserve and restore wetlands, agricultural lands, grasslands, forests and rangeland habitats;
Promote opportunities and expand access to hunting and shooting sports on public and private lands;
Encourages hunting and shooting safety by developing ranges on public lands;
Recruit and retain new shooters and hunters;
Increase public awareness of the importance of wildlife conservation and the social and economic benefits of hunting and shooting;
Encourage coordination among the public, hunting and shooting sports community, wildlife conservation groups, state, tribal, territorial, and federal government.

https://sgbonline.com/secretary-zin...ing-and-shooting-sports-conservation-council/

Looks like a pretty good lineup from my perspective. Twerps such as Don Peay are not good though by in large, looks like a quality list. RMEF, NWF, etc, etc, etc...

Whom on the list hold heavy concerns? I do not know many of the names though do value many of the groups or former groups they represent.

Oh goodie it has some TV/instafamous hunters/models, I'm sure they'll contribute a lot...

Anyone heard of this fellow?

Google tells me he's really into private property rights, but I haven't seen anything about conservation/hunting/fishing.

Anyone heard of this fellow?

Google tells me he's really into private property rights, but I haven't seen anything about conservation/hunting/fishing.

From the Rivers Public Affairs Group website:
Over the past two decades, Spady has developed a wide network of alliances with elected officials, major donors, media personalities, and leaders within the conservative political world. He spent almost ten years as a political consultant working for the election of state and federal candidates, the Tennessee Republican Party, and state and local ballot measures.

Spady has been an active member of Council for National Policy for the past 15 years. He serves on the board of the Montana State University Alumni Association, the Advisory Board of American Media Institute, and the Ventura County Boy Scouts of America. He is an avid outdoorsman who takes every opportunity to combine his passion for work with his love of the outdoors.

Isn’t Eva Shockey Canadian?

Yep.

Some great names on the list, and on the alternates (Jack Atcheson). I'm hoping the strong names from RMEF, NWF, MDF can help guide the council on real conservation action, rather than the leftovers we've been getting served as our public lands are handed over to the billionaire boys league at the Petroleum Clubs.

Isn’t Eva Shockey Canadian?
Eva Shockey's page states she is "building a forever home" in North Carolina with her husband. Plus, I'm not sure where her baby was born. Between those two things, I'd not be surprised if she has citizenship. I only looked her page up as I had the same question.

JDH- I was. I should have used the sarcasm font... ;)

What is RAC?

Resource Advisory Councils.

Locals who volunteer their time to help inform decisions at the regional level for the BLM.

Some of the RAC's have been reinstated. Others haven't. It depends on who genuflected enough.

Resource Advisory Councils.

Locals who volunteer their time to help inform decisions at the regional level for the BLM.

Some of the RAC's have been reinstated. Others haven't. It depends on who genuflected enough.

More like influence decisions based on "local" preference...

RACs are alive and well in Alaska, and look out for themselves first and foremost and the rest of us secondly... and if you're a NR, you're basically a leper.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back