SE Alaska Blacktail

Hey all,

August will soon be here, and anyone that has hunted blacktail in Alaska knows that signals the beginning of a alpine season. Lots of scouting and prep to get to mountain shape, its an addictions, its a staple for me. I know we all have our dream hunts, wether it is sheep or Grizzlies or anything between. We all go back to our roots to feel at home and for me I have a certain mountain in mind for this year, one that has been very good to me over the years. Now I sit here go over plans in my head and make a checklist of things to do, and i decided to wish all of you a good future hunting season, by whatever means all of you measure success.

Good luck this fall. I've been looking at doing a blacktail hunt in SE Alaska in the near future, it looks like a wonderful place to be.

Good luck! I was planning to do a blacktail hunt next year if I didn't draw a bear tag, since I already have a '19 hunting license. Luckily I drew the bear tag, so if I tag out early I can do some scouting for a future deer hunt.

Do you ever hunt them in the rut, or just early in the Alpine? I'm not sure which would be the most fun.

Good reminder. I'll be back in SE AK doing just that in August. Once wasn't enough, so I doubt a second hunt will do any more than just bury the addiction needle a bit deeper.

Everyone should do it, at least a couple times.

SE Alaska is fun and frustrating! I keep making my way back after living in Ketchikan for a couple of years. I will be back next Spring for bear and hopefully time to do a little fishing. Good luck all!

I hunt both but I prefer August alpine tbh. Most locals prefer the rut because it’s a little easier to hunt, and are still to busy fishing to climb mountains. I hear you on the fun, but frustrating. I have lived here my whole life so I just don’t know any better I guess. And once is not enough, and one more will never do.

Most of the time early August for me is a pass. Too warm and many times too buggy. I still find good success in later August or early Sept for my first buck. It's usually cooler and many of the bugs have cycled out.

Most of the time early August for me is a pass. Too warm and many times too buggy. I still find good success in later August or early Sept for my first buck. It's usually cooler and many of the bugs have cycled out.

The only time I have found trouble is from about mid September and to about mid October. For what ever reason at least to me they disappear.

For me it all depends on what time of the year it is, and what/where I plan on going. If I’m doing an alpine trip I will camp at the tree line or higher if there is a suitable spot. If I’m rut hunting, then I’ll do a base camp or even a boat will work.

First 10 days of September are just about optimal. Velvet is gone, bucks are still high, bugs have tempered their enthusiasm a bit. Alaskan blacktails is an awesome hunt and I agree with everyone above - once is not sufficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back