Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Newbie from Missouri

Bs1827

Been lurking for a while and figured I better introduce myself. My name is Brent and I'm from the SW Missouri Ozarks. I got into hunting in college and decided to jump straight into bow hunting for whitetails. Fast forward 7 years, a boatload of mistakes and several years with a full freezer. Now you'll find me with my eyes fixated on the West yearning for some new adventures. Like a lot of Midwesterners that join this forum, I'm here seeking to learn as much as I can from guys like you to help prepare myself for my first (and future) western hunt. This year I'll be headed to Wyoming with a buddy to chase antelope and begin to learn what it takes to prepare for western public land hunts. Aside from hunting, I enjoy fly fishing, mountain biking and dabbling in photography. Feel free to reach out if you're planning on putting together an Ozarks smallmouth trip, I'd be happy to help. Looking forward to interacting and learning from everyone!

Welcome aboard. I lived in Sullivan as a youngster and went back to Rolla for college. Moved to Wyo after school and have never regretted a minute. Good luck on your pronghorn hunt. You wont find a more enjoyable hunt.

Welcome aboard. I lived in Sullivan as a youngster and went back to Rolla for college. Moved to Wyo after school and have never regretted a minute. Good luck on your pronghorn hunt. You wont find a more enjoyable hunt.

Thanks Mulecreek! I'm really looking forward to it. Several friends of mine went to school in Rolla. Guessing you're an engineer?

Welcome to the forum, I'll be in your neck of the woods soon. Either for job interviews in Springfield or spending the 4th on Tablerock!

Welcome. Floated Current River as a kid. Big Spring. Relatives around Thayer. Koshkonong. Caught many a hatchery trout at Bennett Spring. Boy Scout camp at Osceola. Been out West for 3 decades.

A pronghorn hunt is a great intro to the Western hunt experience. Can do without a guide in WY, especially if have 2 or 3 preference points banked. Mule deer and elk are a lot different than whitetails so suggest finding a seasoned hunting buddy that has put a few mulies or elk on the ground and will show you the ropes or hire a guide. You will need new gear that is lighter weight than what is fine for Missouri. Your optics need to see further. May need a latter shooting rifle if are not archery only. The wind can be a factor out West as can heat waves as try to glass even on sunny days barely above freezing.

You can put in for sheep, goat and moose. Odds are you will never draw a tag other than perhaps CO archery sheep or MT Unlimited Sheep which is 100% odds to draw. But, you might draw a tag so if have some jingle in your pocket can add those to your application strategy.

Good luck on your upcoming western adventures!

Back