Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rain Gear

EYJONAS!

What's anyone's take on some good rain gear, I do a variety of different styles of hunting and backpacking. Looking into a few options but I wanna get something that's pretty bullet proof for me and my bride, after last night's soaker on a bear hunt and we were both drenched I'm looking to invest any feedback helps. Thanks

I've had various products over the years. In the end 3 layer gore tex is about the only thing I'll use now. The old Lowe triple point jackets were great but I don't think they are made anymore.

There is a whole spectrum depending on usage, the most waterproof will be PVC coated basically fishing gear; Grundens, Helly Hansen etc. The best gear for hiking all day and being waterproof will be a three layer 3L gortex. If you just want something to toss on for a quick storm but mostly stays in your pack a 2.5L gortex or hyvent will work fine.

Generally speaking 30,000mm rating is all day rain gear, 20,000mm is good for you normal use, and 10,000mm is a wind breaker and is waterproof enough for you to walk from one building to another in a city during a storm.

If you have the money arc'teryx makes the best gear($400+), mammut, mountain hardware, outdoor research are a great mid tier option (~$250), low end are going to be columbia, northface, rei ($100). If you shop the rei sales or ebay you should be able to find deals. I got an arcteryx beta SL for $200 on REI clearance this spring. Prices are for jackets pants will typically be $50-100 less.

Sitka makes comparable gear to arc'teryx, I haven't tried Kuiu but I have heard great things. Don't get anything without pit-zips and if it has a mesh layer inside thats a sign that it's a low grade jacket in the wind breaker category.

I think you have to consider what you are willing to pack in a rain jacket should you go the technical goretex (or similar route). The 3+ layer jackets are going to weigh 25-30 oz and will fill up most of a gallon ziplock bag when packed. The lighter jackets are going to be in the 10-12 oz range and often pack up into their own pocket at much less volume.

I had a similar situation in 2015 where I had a streak of bad rain days and bought the Kuiu Yukon jacket which is great for days I know its going to rain. After 2 years with that jacket I was looking hard for a more packable option because most of the time I just need to have a rain jacket available.

I think rain pants only make sense when paired with the heavier weight rain gear. The ultralight pants get shredded so easily and are rarely used in my experience.

I have tried several brands over the years. I thunk Kuiu makes the best. The Yukon is as durable as I have found. I actually have two different sets. Yukn for the real nasty stuff and the Chugach for my everyday packable set.

I haven't bought mine yet but by my avatar I think you can guess what I'm buying. Kuiu is top notch stuff for sure.

wllm is right it's about the membrane, not just the brand. It used to be a 20K/20K was kinda something, not there are enough options out there you can trade breathability for water resistance to your taste. There are other factors at play besides the membrane breathability too: face fabric weave/material/thickness, specific membrane technology, specific DWR treament and age, permeability (in CFM), etc. To me the best compromise between breathability and water resistance is eVent, though I have not tried the very most recent iteration of Gore-Tex Pro. Historically Gore-Tex had technological issues with the inner membrane being PU coated to repel dirt/grime, thus making the in-->out moisture transfer chemical instead of mechanical. That may have been remedied, or perhaps the coating is just thinner or otherwise improved, don't know.

Brand = stitch count, pocket layout, face fabric, DWR selection, attention to detail, cut and styling, logo you can't live without
Membrane = the baseline technology underpinning the wet-inside/dry-outside moisture gradient. Gradients make the world go 'round.

For a do-it-all backpacking, hunting, climbing rain jacket I like the Rab Latok Alpine. For light use and insurance type of protection I like the 6.5 ounce Outdoor Research Helium II. In the summer I usually just use a wind shirt unless a downpour is forecasted.

Wow thanks a bunch guys that really opened my eyes up .....I will look into some of the suggestions thanks!

I've been using the Browning Hells Canyon speed Rain Slayer rain jacket for the past couple of years. I like it for mid to late season at it adds a good layer of warmth. I roll it up in a small drybag and it packs away nicely.

I bought Sitka Stormfront for a Stone sheep hunt last August.

I bitched and moaned about the price of it until I lived in it for 10 days straight as we had horrible weather. I would have paid five times what I paid for it after that.

That stuff is awesome, albeit expensive but being able to backpack through miserable conditions and stay dry made it bearable and allowed us to keep hunting hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back