Black bear hunting WA.

vmascorro89

Hello everyone one, I'm new to bear hunting but really want one. I'm looking for tips on gear and some how to's of anyone has a few to spairs. I'm hunting with 7mm mag. Any suggestions on ammo? I normally use Hornady white tail ammo. But open to new ammo. Looking to start reloading as well. Well any ways any pointers on gear I should invest on.

Hello everyone one, I'm new to bear hunting but really want one. I'm looking for tips on gear and some how to's of anyone has a few to spairs. I'm hunting with 7mm mag. Any suggestions on ammo? I normally use Hornady white tail ammo. But open to new ammo. Looking to start reloading as well. Well any ways any pointers on gear I should invest on.

As far as hunting gear it would be the same as you hunt deer with. Lots of good threads on here depending on how you plan to hunt.

Where are you located at in Washington? There are a ton of bears in Washington. If you are in shape I would hike into the high country early September and glass the berry fields.

Where are you located at in Washington? There are a ton of bears in Washington. If you are in shape I would hike into the high country early September and glass the berry fields.

I'm in South East Washington. Close to the blue mountains.

Any suggestions on a decent pack. I plan on back pack hunting this year just never done it. That's y I ask about gear. If there's anything specific I would need. Also I'm looking at the eblourstock team elk pack. Is that a good pack for this type of hunt?

Nosler Partition or Accubond. Partition is about as good as it comes for bears. I personally use Accubond and has done excelled on bears, but only because that what I use on elk and don't want to switch ammo during hunt. ( I only hunt fall bears while elk hunting)

I am not familiar with that exact pack, but I wasn't impressed at all with the previous eberlestock packs. They don't have much for load lifters. I would try to find some guys in your area that have some different packs like Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, etc to try on.

Last time I hunted the blues I saw 4 bears. I'll send you a PM with a few places to check out down there.

I just shot a black bear with trophy bonded tip from 25 yards. It went clean through and the bear was death moaning 10 yards away inside 10-20 seconds, closer to 10 seconds. Since black bear have thick shoulders, maybe avoid cup and core bullets in magnum cartridges and go with a heavier bullet otherwise with cup and core. Nothing in my personal experience to back this up that's just what they say. As far as packs, many will do to get started. I have one from REI that's done me well.

I just shot a black bear with trophy bonded tip from 25 yards. It went clean through and the bear was death moaning 10 yards away inside 10-20 seconds, closer to 10 seconds. Since black bear have thick shoulders, maybe avoid cup and core bullets in magnum cartridges and go with a heavier bullet otherwise with cup and core. Nothing in my personal experience to back this up that's just what they say. As far as packs, many will do to get started. I have one from REI that's done me well.

I think the trophy bonded tip is at least as good as partition and compare in price. They have solid copper rear and bonded fronts. Partition has solid lead filled rear and a nonbonded front. So it will probably retain less weight. The trophy bonded tips are also spitzer making them better down range. Very accurate too.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back