Caribou Gear

New Guy From Florida looking to hunt Wyoming Pronghorn and Muleys

Gone Fishing

I'm your typical FL boy that hunts, fishes, dives, and surfs. I hunt just about everything in Florida from deer to ducks and alligators to Osceola turkey. I have been taking my son hunting since he was 10 and could barely keep up with me, to now where he is a strong 17 year-old young man starting his own adventures. We have not hunted out of the state of Florida much, but we had a great trip 2 years ago in NW Colorado where he harvested his first Elk, a 4x3. That was his wish for his 16th birthday. It was a public land OTC tag hunt that we definitely had to work hard for.

Fast forward 2 years and we are planning a trip to Wyoming for antelope and possibly Mule Deer. I have been doing a lot of research, including reading the Antelope section of this forum. Getting ready to apply here before the end of May.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for information on Florida hunting and fishing hit me up. Alligator applications end May 28 but you can always get a trappers tag if you know someone with a Florida gator tag. We have some good late-season plumage duck hunting all the way until the end of January.

Last edited:
Where are you in Florida? I am currently living in Tampa but previously lived in Wyoming and northern Colorado. I can definitely give you solid info for antelope and archery deer in SE Wyoming if you are interested.

Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Where are you in Florida? I am currently living in Tampa but previously lived in Wyoming and northern Colorado. I can definitely give you solid info for antelope and archery deer in SE Wyoming if you are interested.

Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Hey utah400elk. I am over on the East coast in Melbourne. Will send a PM

Welcome from South Florida/Fort Lauderdale! I just finished applying for the first round of quota permits myself. I'm still trying to figure out FL and have only been hunting it seriously for a few years. I'm still trying to get my first FL deer in the bag. It's a tough state to learn and I certainly have to travel a few hours to get into decent hunting. The South zones are really tough with extremely low success rates. Plus I'm not a fan of walking through swamp all day, lol.

Welcome from South Florida/Fort Lauderdale! I just finished applying for the first round of quota permits myself. I'm still trying to figure out FL and have only been hunting it seriously for a few years. I'm still trying to get my first FL deer in the bag. It's a tough state to learn and I certainly have to travel a few hours to get into decent hunting. The South zones are really tough with extremely low success rates. Plus I'm not a fan of walking through swamp all day, lol.

Your name sounds familiar. Maybe from FL Hunt or Duck Facebook groups? You can PM me if you want

Your name sounds familiar. Maybe from FL Hunt or Duck Facebook groups? You can PM me if you want

I'm also a member of the FloridaSportsman Forum, although I rarely go there anymore. I'm not a member of anything on Facebook through, my wife manages that, lol.

Did you put in for quotas in FL this year?

I did...I drew my first Gator tag and I am looking forward to the hunt. I have a few deer and hog hunt applications but I am a little nervous after hunting in FL last year.

I did...I drew my first Gator tag and I am looking forward to the hunt. I have a few deer and hog hunt applications but I am a little nervous after hunting in FL last year.

I stopped putting in for gator when they starting requiring the fee up front. I'm not a fan of the state holding my money until the draw, lol

FL is definitely a tough place to learn, especially the southern half of the state. It's unlike any of the other states I've hunted and the deer are much harder to learn. Even the rut in the southern half of the state can vary from one WMA to the next with some places varying by 3+ months!

Also, just for reference, on another FL hunting forum, there are two threads listing openings for hunt clubs. 6,000+ acres with about a dozen private hunters. They are looking for $7K+ per year to join which grants you a couple deer during season, hogs all year, and a couple turkeys during season. If I had $7k+ per year for hunting, I would be going on an awesome elk and mule deer hunt every year, lol. Those prices aren't even that high depending on where in the state the club is located. It's crazy how often you talk to local hunters down here looking for advice, tips, etc. and simply get told, "You should join a lease if you want to be successful in FL."

Last edited:
I'm also a member of the FloridaSportsman Forum, although I rarely go there anymore. I'm not a member of anything on Facebook through, my wife manages that, lol.

Did you put in for quotas in FL this year?

Maybe that's where. Just sounded familiar.

I have been applying for Florida quotas since they were stamps. I drew a pretty good muzzle permit and a triple N hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back