Caribou Gear

MT bear success

mthillrunner

Well, I took the advice from a post earlier today and we got one. I took my 12 yo son out for the afternoon. His baseball schedule precludes him from getting out much. We hiked up a canyon with a couple big meadows & a creek in it. There was lots of bear scat, from a bear I’d love to see! We got about 1.25 miles up and a storm was headed for us. We decided to start headed back. We got to the meadow that was a short walk from the sxs and there he was. He was 150 yds out across a stream. His coat was in great shape so I told my son he could shoot it if inclined. He didn’t hesitate and made a great shot, dead on the spot. Now we had a problem, we had to cross this stream that’s 6-8ft wide but 5-6ft deep. We only got slightly wet the first time. We took some pics and the weather was worsening. I threw it over the shoulder and we headed out, only had 4-500yds I thought, no problem. Yeah, we’ll just say I got much wetter upon crossing the creek this time. Lil turd laughed at me til I told him I’d let him get his bear to the rig. It was a great afternoon with my son, he’s always happy & smiling, his smile was unusually wide tonight. Thanks again for the advice earlier today. It’s about 150lb young boar. Sorry, I’ve no clue how to rotate the pic 79152EF8-A2DD-4457-AC19-81C671677DAE.jpg

If I can’t get the hide to the taxidermist til Tuesday what is the preferred method of keeping til then? Rolling it up & putting in freezer? Thanks

Big grats, Dad! Talk about opportunity and the experience for the two of you! I am not sage in the art of holding over hides, for day(s). I would imagine clean what can be cleaned off, and this would be my rookie thought, cover the skin side with a small tarp/ large hvy duty garbage bag, roll it and place inside another bag. Spray some permethrin into the bag, close it up and store it somewhere cool. I would prob not want to freeze it... I would stick it in my garage refrigerator... But I'm a rookie for saving a hide...

Grats to your son and grats to you, dad for bringing that experience to your son.

Congrats on the bear! Freezing it is the easiest way to keep it for the taxidermist . He'll just let it thaw when he wants to skin out the head and feet and flesh it. I wouldn't spray it with anything just to eliminate the potential for a reaction to the tanning solution when it gets to the tannery. Probably not a problem, but no use risking it.

I think I’d try to flatten out by folding it once and freezing rather than rolling it. Rolling them will cause the center to be insulated and not freeze for a while. Even a small coyote hide will take a while rolled up to freeze in the center

Thanks much for the input on the hide guys! The pics were moments before a rather heavy rain and mere minutes before my dunking. By the time I went wading in the creek I was wet enough to barely notice aside from water sloshing in my boots.

Congratulations nice bear. And as Gerald said freeze it, my daughter is a taxidermist and she just rolls it up,puts it in a heavy duty bag and tosses it in the freezer. The quicker the better bacteria starts to set into the hide and you want to minimize this so that you won't have hair slippage issues.

Back