Mule Deer Book Recomendations

bisblue

Hey folks,
I drew a mule deer archery tag in Nevada this year. I've hunted elk the past two seasons in Nevada after taking 8 years off hunting working as a climbing guide and wildland firefighter.

What are the recomendations for good books to get. I want to mainly be successful and fill the freezer, I'll hike a long way and packed out a cow solo last season. Although I have a wilderness unit and llamas for 5 days this year.

I've got Steve Rinella's Big Game Guide, and Robby Denning's book (which wasn't what I was looking for). I'd like to learn more about behavior and habitat than bagging the biggest.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Two come to mind for me:

Mule Deer Country, Valerius Geist. Good biology based book and will give insight into mule deer behavior and habits.
Public Land Mulies, the Bottom Line, David Long. Good insight into hunting public land. Primarily high country perspective, but a great read and very informative.

Good luck!

Though not much of a how-to book, Mule Deer Quest by Walt Prothero is a very good read.

Hunting big mule deer, by Robby Denning, after reading this book I was pretty pumped for season. Full of tips tactics and motivation to get out there and get it done.

I've had a very hard time applying anything from David Long's book. The terrain I've hunted has just been so much different than what's discussed in it.

I'd like to hear more about why Robby Denning's book didn't work for you, as its one people keep recommending to me.

Read most of the books recommended here there all good robby dennings is one of my personal favorites, one to read if you can your hands on it is How to find giant bucks by Kirt darner. A lot of people I think forgot this book cause of his legal troubles but it still has some awesome advice to hunting mule deer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back