Nevada Elk 072, 073, 074 Late Any Legal Weapon NR Antlered Elk tag

TheGrayRider

I drew a Nevada Elk 072, 073, 074 Late Any Legal Weapon NR Antlered Elk tag from 11/6/18 to 11/20/18 after 8 years of application.

I have hunted Utah, Montana, and South Dakota before.

Anyone hunt this unit and tag in NE Nevada before? Do you recommend backpack-type elk hunt in this unit? Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Congrats! You drew one heck of a tag. There are some real monster bulls in those units.

That's jarbidge wilderness I'd find the water and pack hunt.....what an opportunity

Congrats! Had that last year. Hardest hunt but most memorable of my life. Get in the best shape of your life...that country is beyond nasty. Good luck and enjoy the experience! Nevada is a special place.

Last edited:
I would be scared to pack in if not on horseback. It can drop a foot of snow over night. Last year was a zoo 450 tags between early and late season. I've hunted in there a lot pm me and I'll give you my phone#

I don't think people realize how cold that country gets.

Real cold.

I would not consider a backpack hunt in there that late.

I hunted 072 in 2013 during September and that country is crazy but absolutely beautiful! When the weather turns, it really turns. Over a foot of snow fell towards the end of the month and if we didn't have a good 4x4 we would have been in trouble. Good luck and find one of those Jarbidge monsters!

I’ve deer hunted there a good while back. Unless the weather has pushed elk down, it would be a difficult backpack hunt.

Bulls, and the elk in general, will as much as they need to feel safe. Usually that means up and HIGH. Find a nasty area and they'll be there.

The elk in those units are exposed to a number of hunts leading up to yours... which means they get pushed around quite a bit and head for no mans land. Not all of the big bulls will necessarily be high in the wilderness, this a common misunderstanding by too many. In fact, quite a few bulls will seek refuge in the low lands. Look for deep drainages and cuts out in the flats and well away from roads. They're in there!

Also, if it gets pounded with snow look to possibly access 072/074 from Murphy Hot Springs, out of Idaho. Congrats on the tag & good luck!

Congrats! That is one of my favorite places on the planet. As stated, start getting in shape now. It is steep and the elk know all the nasty holes. Scouting is a must to decide where you want to hunt, it's a huge area. PM me if interested and I'll be happy to share any information I know. Congrats!

My pard had that tag a few years ago. He packed in a long ways as he said the traffic/pressure near the boundaries/trailheads was pretty high. Said it was probably the best elk hunt of his life. Tough time picking through a lot of bulls to find one not busted up.

Gray Rider, I also was lucky and drew the same tag late season, I live in the Reno area. Good Luck to both of us. Any local guy's in the Reno area that can share some advice to me I would greatly appreciate it . Thanks

You drew a great tag as others have mentioned. I hunted 072 a few years back. Depends on what you wanna do and where you wanna go. If you wanna head into the wilderness area on foot or horseback your tag holds some nice elk away from the quads, sidexsides and vehicles that people can't take in there. Plenty of places to go if your lookin to cover a lot of ground by vehicle. That's beautiful country and all I can say is get up high and glass, glass, glass......Goodluck on your hunt!

I got a decent 6x6 in 73 end of October a couple years back out in the flats. I got my nephew on a decent bull same area last year during muzzle loader season. It was luck. We heard the occasional bugle. I helped my daughter fill her spike tag in same area late November last year. Spent 4 days before we even saw an elk. Now my dad has the same tag early rifle season this year. If my dad was a bit younger I think we would give the 72 wilderness a try as those mountains are truly nasty yet they are calling me. The problem is every time we drove up there the trail heads were packed with trucks, horses, stables, tents, etc. Each one was like a circus. I figured i would have to hike for a day or two just to get away from the crowds which at the time didn't seem appealing as I was playing guide to city kids. It was still fun in the flats, grass land and in some areas I never saw anyone else. The flats still have plenty of terrain features that can hide animals so its not easy just cause its "flat" compared to the wilderness. If i see anything worthy in the flats that i cant get my dad on fast enough Il pass it on to you as his hunt ends the day before yours starts. Good luck on a great tag.

Psycho, did you bring extra fuel and supplies with you into the Jarbidge? Some people have told me to carry 20 gallons of extra gasoline because towns are far away with limited services. Thanks Tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back