Caribou Gear

Arizona Early Archery Elk Unit 6B

KRH

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has experience with this unit. I've recently driven this unit from Woody Ridge all the Way to Casner Mountain, beautiful country and can't wait for September. Definitely not asking for specifics, just curious to hear about anecdotal experiences related to age class and road traffic / hunting pressure (which I haven't been able to find recent info on in other searches). I typically hunt wilderness areas and Utah and Wyoming and this unit has a TON more roads than what I'm used to. Just curious if in your experience the elk get pushed as the season starts from the top of the unit into the wilderness areas of Sycamore canyon. I'm absolutely prepared to drop into that canyon if need be, but obviously want to avoid that if the elk are not in there as early as September, I would guess they are there by rifle season. Also, I know as far as age class this is not a "premiere" unit in AZ, so I am trying to create reasonable expectations for myself. I'm not a big score guy, I'd be absolutely ecstatic to shoot any mature 6 point, but if guys with experience in this unit think there is a reasonable shot at a 330+ bull if I hunt the entire two week season and am willing to eat tag soup I'd like to hear it. If that's not a reasonable expectation then that's fine, I'll happily try to kill whatever bull I can to feed my family.

Just trying to get as much info as I can, because I will likely only get to hunt in AZ two or three times in my life unless I get lucky.

Would be willing to trade info if you are interested in the Utah's Wasatch LE unit and/or OTC archery elk hunting in the Uintas. I also have information on deer in the Wasatch East, Wasatch West, East Canyon, and Kamas units

Thanks

Last edited:
Will be heading to this unit here in a couple weeks with an Archery bull tag. I had plans to visit the elk woods this summer, but a job change and life happenings made the 32hr round trip from Austin, TX a little tough.

Been doing a ton of e-scouting and was able to talk with Steve Chappell for about a half hour and hear his experience of 20+ years ago. I’ve focused on the western edge of the unit because most of what I’ve seen online has been referencing the middle part of the unit, south of the Indian reservation. My thought is most guys hunting AZ are inherently lazy, and will focus on that area because it has a lot of roads. Hoping by staying west I can get away from the majority of the people.

Would love to compare notes with someone who's hunted it recently or knows the area. Feel free to PM

Thanks!

I'd maybe start off NOT insulting the "guys hunting AZ" who may or may not be inherently lazy. Good chance someone from Arizona who you just insulted has hunted that unit and knows a thing or two about it. But good luck getting info from them. Probably too lazy to respond

Hunted way southern part we got in at 2 am and stopped to pee. 5 bulls bugle out in unit 300 yards to 1/2 mile away. We never got up to area we wanted to go to go more towards fladstaff. Elk behind gas station to dump and campground. Fire happened in unit across road and west a hair. We hunted a couple miles east at gate that let's get back in a bit on roads. Walked in and while going to bull had herd feeding into us. Sat down right next to dirt road. Elk jumped it like a fence or ran across. Boy nicked one. Elk fever. Really big bull in herd. Listen at night you will find them.
Saw lots big Elk along south east boarder driving in dark. Very flat and little canyons must be where hole up during day. Stayed in Winslow. The loop after gas station to west is open saw bull with lots mass and some junk there. Can see 100 150 yards but elk see 200.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back