SW Montana Elk Rifle Typical Weather Conditions

TN VOL

Hey guys..got drawn for the elk/deer combo for my first hunt in Montana! Going to be hunting in Region 3 during rifle season..not sure if I'll go opening weekend or wait until the 2nd weekend to come. I know weather and temps can vary each year, but what should be my expectations for camping in elevations from 7000-8500 feet...lows in the 20s?? Highs in 40-50s?? I'm starting to put together a list of gear that I will need, and just wanting to know from anyone's experience of hunting in this part of the country at that time of year.
Thanks!

Your estimate is as good of a guess as anyone can give. That time of year in the Mountains you will likely see a variety of weather. The classic wisdom of have plenty of layers, will serve you well. I have hunted that region for several years now. I have seen a range of -20 to 75 in the past couple of years.

I have Sitka Gore-tex outer layer - that gear has never let me down, and I can layer underneath for any condition.

Have fun, and good luck!

^ this
The question is a good one, but it made me chuckle. Mountain weather in Montana in late fall can throw literally anything at you, from burning up to subzero. Best way to guarantee your hunt is to pack plenty of quality layers. You may wear it all or it may stay in the duffel, but you're covered.

There is nothing typical about any of it. I have hunted at 6000 feet on opening week of general elk with real air temperatures below zero and wind chills in the -40s. I have hunted sheep in November at over 10,000 feet wearing a T-shirt and drenched in sweat.

we were at 8000ft in september last year, woke up on day two to 18" of snow hahaha! snow never left either just freeze thaw cycle all week till we dropped down to 4000ft

thanks for everyone's input! I'm torn about waiting until the 2nd weekend of rifle season or to come opening rifle weekend..the areas I'm interested in hunting are that 7k-9500 feet, it's either come opening weekend with tons of hunters but still the potential of bad weather and hard access to the spots I'm interested in or come a week or so later and risk colder weather with the potential of the areas I'm looking at not being accessible.. decisions...decisions.. What's your guys' opinion on coming for opening weekend or the 2nd weekend??
Thanks again!

In my opinion opening weekend is overrated. I always wait for opening weekend to be over before I start elk hunting. Less people is always better regardless of weather.

My thoughts also. There can be so much pressure where large groups of elk are spotted that opening weekend can be a bust. I like the first good snowstorm on either side a few days, and mid season/mid week.

As far as weather, it’s tough to plan for, but I always pack gaiters for mud/snow. You will be hunting the perfect elevation. Good luck.

They have you covered on personal wear, but dont forget your truck gear. Shovels, tire chains, to strap/cable, make sure antifreeze is really anti freeze and not water, good 10 ply tires ideally. There are places not far from pavement, but most of what you will want to hit will take a toll on your vehicle. I say this as every year i have at least one friend i have to go get it seems, and being able to help someone else with a tug out is always a nice thing to be able to handle.

Two years ago, it was warm and you could hunt in a tshirt, last year...well it was in the teens and knee deep snow. With it being the mountains, be prepared.

I'll echo what everyone else has said - it's a notoriously hard season to plan for. It can be 80 degrees or -20 - usually somewhere in between. At the very least, I'd recommend a zero degree sleeping bag, plenty of good rain and snow gear, and many layers.

Be prepared to pay for a hotel room if the weather turns nasty.

Last year in Idaho, same weekend, same elevation, it started out snowing and sleeting with highs in the low 40s. Monday on was 70+ not an hour after the sun crested the peaks up from mid teens at night.

Mountain weather, you crazy.

My suggestion as someone who drives a long way to get there too, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Whether you backpack or truck camp, bring it all (your gear). Check the forecast at the last sign of signal on your phone and plan your kit from there, if you backpack in. You've probably got plenty of room in the rig and it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Good luck out there.

With all of the possible elements..would you guys recommend a Wall tent or Tipi tent?? Need something that will accomodate 4 people, I've done so much research on both tents but I've never owned either...we are coming from Tennessee...the tipi tent sounds easier to pack and to travel with but maybe the wall tent is more comfortable..I was looking at a 16x20 wall tent then a 12 person tipi because the 8 person didn't look as roomy as it should for an 8 person tent. you guys have really been helpful!

I use a 16x20 MT canvas with 5 foot sidewalls, it handles 4 people very well. You will not be packing that without a seriously stout mule/horse, and if its wet, its staying where it is until dry. It is great out of the truck, wood stove inside front door to left, right side has 8 feet of table with cook stove etc. I have teepee tents I use for spiking out, 10x10 and 12x12, the fast setup is sweet, but just not as comfortable as regular wall tent long term. The internal frame on the wall tent is worth the money IMO, but finding lodgepole to cut for frame is doable here.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back