Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Application increases

I’m one of the new ones. I annually applied for mule deer and elk points but jumped in for everything else for the cheap tune of $3 each.

If it goes to $10 I’ll stay in, if it goes to $20, I will only apply for deer and elk.

I disagree with you vanish, I don't think $20 a species is going to matter one bit. That's still bargain basement prices, even at $120 for 6 species. I just sent Idaho $220 for 3 species. A preference point in WY can be up to $150. The economy is good, people want to hunt, unless there is a limiting factor, point creep will increase and draw odds will diminish further.

I do agree with you that it's a total win for CPW.

CPW had a good system in place, and what they needed to do was look at a more cost effective way to issue refunds, not change the whole system.

I guess time will tell.

I really thought they would do at least 40 or 50 like WY does. I would gladly pay that to keep getting my 2 point tag. I’ll never build more points then it takes to draw it. It would get costly for the high point tags but maybe that’s a good thing. I think a lot of these cheap points bought this year will never be used especially if they go up next year.

I'm curious as to how much of the $3 goes to CPW? If the answer is close to none they've essentially ended the preference point system and should turn it into a bonus point system

If you had one point or more for deer, elk, or antelope going into the draw it won't effect you right now. It'll be basically the same amount of points to draw whatever tag you're after that it did the past several years. Once you draw, however, you are going to probably be playing catch up waayyy longer than you had in the past. As far as sheep, goat and moose, we are all screwed who have more than the three preference once the 2021 draw hits....then the odds going from pretty crappy to absolutely horrible. I wish they would ditch the weighted point system and just do bonus squared.

Has anyone had any experience doing a trespass hunting or a landowner tag..? i don't want to go that route but I'm sensing unless all these people put in for bonus points i won't draw either my elk or mule deer tags this year..elk i can always go OTC but i wanted my mulie tag pretty badly this year

How did nobody at CPW not think that is exactly what would happen when applicants didn't have to pay upfront and then wait for a refund if not drawn?

Wow. That really doesn't bode well for drawing anything with 0-1 points. Glad I chose Colorado as my first solo elk hunt. Might be looking at OTC Idaho now. We well see how the elk draw pan's out.

I had heard that Wyoming was going to consider the same thing...not having to pay the tag fee up front. I wonder how serious they are and how much this data out of Colorado will impact them. I have no problem paying up front for this very reason.

well i struck out on 1st and 2nd choice mule deer... just hoping for a leftover now i guess

I had heard that Wyoming was going to consider the same thing...not having to pay the tag fee up front. I wonder how serious they are and how much this data out of Colorado will impact them. I have no problem paying up front for this very reason.

Did anyone else get the e-mail from Wyo Game and Fish asking to vote on how they would prefer Wyoming proceed? I got an e-mail with a poll for two choices. They were 1) delay payment until draw, or 2) pay like a 2% surcharge upfront or something to offset the credit card fees.

I definitely voted 2.

Wyoming always seems to do things right. I doubt they will go down this path Colorado has chosen.

WYSurvey.PNG

Last edited:
I posted this comment on the page the OP linked, but I will copy-n-paste here as well:

I believe there is a critical error in this article. The $3/species pref point is only available after you buy a license (any big game license or an ANNUAL fishing or small game license which is a minimum $56 for non-residents) in the previous year. So, CPW made this change not only to avoid the credit card fees/hassle, but to increase the number of licenses sold, which increases revenue via the license fees, but also via the Pittman-Robertson and Dingall-Johnson dollars.

I posted this comment on the page the OP linked, but I will copy-n-paste here as well:

I believe there is a critical error in this article. The $3/species pref point is only available after you buy a license (any big game license or an ANNUAL fishing or small game license which is a minimum $56 for non-residents) in the previous year. So, CPW made this change not only to avoid the credit card fees/hassle, but to increase the number of licenses sold, which increases revenue via the license fees, but also via the Pittman-Robertson and Dingall-Johnson dollars.

I agree with them doing this but I think it should be every year, not the previous year. Please correct me if I am wrong, but if a NR bought a license in 2017, in 2018 that person does not have to purchase a license and is still eligible for the $3 draw because they had licence in previous year. Then comes 2019, they have to purchase a license again, so essentially purchasing a license every other year.

Last edited:
I agree with them doing this but I think it should be every year, not the previous year. Please correct me if I am wrong, but if a NR bought a license in 2017, in 2018 that person does not have to purchase a license and is still eligible for the $3 draw because they had licence in previous year. Then comes 2019, they have to purchase a license again, so essentially purchasing a license every other year.

I think this is incorrect...kinda...

eg.
2017 NR fishing license ---$56
2018 Applies Elk, Deer, Moose --$9
2019 Applies Elk, Deer, Moose-- $129 ($3 per app and $40 per species penalty for not having a license in the previous year)

So you could buy one every other year but that doesn't makes sense. If you are applying for just one species and don't plan on visiting the state that year to fish or small game hunt then you should just pay the license penalty fee.

Last edited:
2017 NR fishing license ---$56
2018 Applies Elk, Deer, Moose --$9
2019 Applies Elk, Deer, Moose-- $129 ($3 per app and $40 per species penalty for not having a license in the previous year)

You could do that, but smarter would be:
2019 Applies Elk, Deer, Moose -- $65 ($56 for Annual NR fishing license, which you can buy for the 2018 season through March 31st 2019, +$3/species).

Exactly... so the system is designed to encourage you to buy a license every year, which was what I was highlighting.

The commission meeting this week will discuss increasing the $3 app fee (up to $20), as well as the $40 point fee (up to $100). They may even remove the "previous year's license" discount.

Got drawn for 3rd rifle and I have local intel on where some good bucks are hanging out. Hope to get a wall hanger this year and then spend the next decade focused on a good elk.

More applicants equals more $$. More $$ means better things for our public lands. With the OTC options here in CO why is it such a big deal? EVERYONE can still hunt EVERY year.

Back