Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Application increases

Thanks for the link, attachment didn't work for me.

I'm trying to convert the pdf now, then I can cut/paste.

More applicants equals more $$. More $$ means better things for our public lands. With the OTC options here in CO why is it such a big deal? EVERYONE can still hunt EVERY year.
I'm not sure you can see that in the financials. The last one I have is 14-15, not sure if CPW has published anything more recent. If anyone has a link feel free to share.
In reality, we won't know the impact until they publish numbers related to this years applications.

More applicants equals more $$. More $$ means better things for our public lands. With the OTC options here in CO why is it such a big deal? EVERYONE can still hunt EVERY year.

I think the argument is, more people applying means more people applying for the limited units, which in turns means more people NOT drawing their preferred unit and thus hunting OTC, which in turn means more crowding on already crowded OTC.

I'm not convinced the "new" people applying are going to do anything more than gather PP, but I understand the argument. I think there is a happy medium between "ridiculously cheap @ $3" and "rich man's hobby".

I'm not a "trophy" hunter so I've never understood applying for premium tags in a state that sells OTC tags every year. If you're a trophy only hunter then I guess you'll have to compete with all the new LE tag applicants.

I'm not a "trophy" hunter so I've never understood applying for premium tags in a state that sells OTC tags every year. If you're a trophy only hunter then I guess you'll have to compete with all the new LE tag applicants.

I'm not a trophy hunter, but I do have a bar which I don't go below. And with deer in CO there is no OTC option like elk. If you wanted to hunt elk every year, but also wanted to build for a once in a lifetime bull, you can do both.

I'm not a trophy hunter, but I do have a bar which I don't go below. And with deer in CO there is no OTC option like elk. If you wanted to hunt elk every year, but also wanted to build for a once in a lifetime bull, you can do both.

Agree with Zach 100%.

Plus - for me anyway - the 'trophy' attraction of draw tags is more the lack of crowding and opportunity to hunt animals that are acting 'normally' and have better age class structures (which doesnt mean 'bigger' necessarily, just a herd composition that includes statistically normal amounts of age classes, versus OTC units where there tends to be a big bubble of 2.5 year olds). The experience itself is the 'trophy'.

Even with deer, I've been able to get decent 2nd choice tags every year while building points at the same time. I won't ever again go as far down the point road as I've gotten myself, though.

Well, I think I listened to all the recorded sections of the commission meeting, but I couldn't find where the ​Director's Comments occurred. The recording was a mess compared to May. Over 7 videos, with mostly just black screen.

https://youtu.be/2JvPOU4LjYw?t=1452

Ah, its because they didn't go in depth on it. Just mentioned that there was a memo.

And here is where they talk briefly about the "unintended consequences" of the removal of fronting the money.

https://youtu.be/2JvPOU4LjYw?t=2109

Last edited:

With the exception of archery in some units all cow tags are draw... I mean every elk is a trophy and all that, but...

I burned 4 CO points for a cow tag with my dad this year. The points will give us a quality hunt in a unique part of the state with very little competition. I don't necessarily equate draw tags to big horns. For me they mean a more enjoyable experience with less hunting pressure and the ability to hunt elk that are doing elk things.

Back