Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Grizzly Hunting approved

boonerville

I saw that Wyoming voted today unanimously to allow a grizzly hunt starting this year. 22 tags will be issued. I can't find any details on Wyoming Game & fish site. Does anyone know the details of how to apply? Alaska is a pipe dream at this point for me...but Wyoming is much more doable.

I read a little about this today, and from what I understand, no hunting brownies in Yellowstone, so it will be a breeding ground to supply the rest of the greater yellowstone ecosystem.

Feel sorry for the A wad that shoots the 2nd sow and blows the hole deal up.

Last edited:
Hopefully the tree doesn't get chopped down by impulsive knee jerk actions over a bad apple, if one is to be found of the 22 tag holders.
A positive indicator for the ESA rehabilitation and from here, hopefully effective game harvest management.

Just curious if the tags are for Wyoming residents only. They should be. Guys hunting that environment for years need a break.

I do feel someone will screw the rest by shooting a sow, Murphy's law. Sincerely hope not, and do not advertise the name.

Wyoming game and fish deserve recognition for a job well done!

Edit: Was always wondering how many cubs a boar takes out. Does it happen regularly or a few each year? Know nothing about grizzly bear except they are fascinating.

Last edited:
They’re not just for wyo residents but unless the final version that got adopted was revised from the proposed regs, a certain number of residents will get to hunt before a NR gets to.

The Game officials seem to have thought this thru. Hope one of our Wyoming residents bites the Golden Bullet.

Will be interesting to see if any of these opposing groups follow the hunters around like they sometimes do with buffalo and wolf hunters.

A few years ago, WY G&F liberalized an already pretty liberal set of rules for acceptable big game cartridges. I wonder if those same rules will hold for grizzlies?

Hate to bring this up but might this be playing right into the hands of anti-hunting groups and possibly driving a wedge between us and folks who are not quite anti-hunting. Don't get me wrong I have bear blood on my hands (black bear) and a bear ham in the freezer as I write this. I'm just wondering if this is a great idea right now?

Hate to bring this up but might this be playing right into the hands of anti-hunting groups and possibly driving a wedge between us and folks who are not quite anti-hunting. Don't get me wrong I have bear blood on my hands (black bear) and a bear ham in the freezer as I write this. I'm just wondering if this is a great idea right now?

If it is not a good idea now, will it ever be?

People said the same thing about wolves.

There in lies the problem. If hunting bears is just for rich people, then bear hunting will go away because the public will be polarized against it. I should be the same as an elk tag.

There in lies the problem. If hunting bears is just for rich people, then bear hunting will go away because the public will be polarized against it. I should be the same as an elk tag.

Agreed 100%. If the purpose of the bear season is to help curb population, then why make the tags so ridiculously out of reach for the majority of hunters? The odds will be tough enough, just sounds greedy to me.

Kentucky Elk for example, odds are astronomical. But when my wife drew in 2014, the tag was only $400.

Until you factor in the guide requirement. Not too many grizzley/brown bear hunts out there for even double that tag price, if any!
On the flip side of that, if you're hunting in the wilderness in Wyoming you'll be required a guide so who knows what the overall price of a "lower 48 grizzly hunt" would really come out to. When you factor in the tag fee, guide fee and taxidermy it's not going to be a bargain by any means. I'm not saying you have to hunt in the wilderness obviously but I would think a fair concentration of these bears live in those wilderness area.

On the flip side of that, if you're hunting in the wilderness in Wyoming you'll be required a guide so who knows what the overall price of a "lower 48 grizzly hunt" would really come out to. When you factor in the tag fee, guide fee and taxidermy it's not going to be a bargain by any means. I'm not saying you have to hunt in the wilderness obviously but I would think a fair concentration of these bears live in those wilderness area.
Wyoming also has the provision that a resident can get a free "guide" permit, thereby reducing the guide fee to $0. AK has something similar, but it has to be kin and I do not have any kin in AK.

If I draw, I'm thinking I won't have too much trouble finding a WY resident to hold may hand in the big, scary wilderness. Even with a regular guide, I'd be surprised if it still couldn't be done cheaper in WY than AK, especially compared to brown bear hunts.

Wyoming also has the provision that a resident can get a free "guide" permit, thereby reducing the guide fee to $0. AK has something similar, but it has to be kin and I do not have any kin in AK.

If I draw, I'm thinking I won't have too much trouble finding a WY resident to hold may hand in the big, scary wilderness. Even with a regular guide, I'd be surprised if it still couldn't be done cheaper in WY than AK, especially compared to brown bear hunts.
Good point, I forgot about that in Wyoming.

Back