GPS app for IPhone

jvanhoy

Any good free apps for IPhone that has good topo maps? I used backcountry navigator on android but can’t find it for apple.

Nobody use their iPhone for hunting gps? I downloaded onX but don’t like the idea of subscriptions. Like something free like backcountry was or a one time fee. Any suggestions?

The US Forest Service is promoting an app called Avenza.
What I most enjoy is the ability to pinpoint your location while in airplane mode/no service. Great TOPO's and a very simple tool. Has functions to pin personal locations, use compass method, etc.
Catch? Each quad is .99 cents. Easy and quick to d/l the quads your in and those around.
It is basically the same as buying the FS map at the station for $10 or buying the specific areas of interest with a few bells and whistles.

I also have ON X maps for my GPS though if I'm in an area not concerned with private boundry lines, the 530hcx rino is basically a paperweight.

https://www.avenza.com/avenza-maps/

Any good free apps for IPhone that has good topo maps? I used backcountry navigator on android but can’t find it for apple.
Gaia for iPhone products is very similar to bc navigator. Easily worth a few bucks to me but its not free. I personally dislike avenza, but for free it could be worse.

good and free are mutually exclusive. Especially if want public/private boundary overlay. pony up.

Have no need for private info. The free backcountry navigator I’ve always used has all the boundaries I need. It would be crazy to waste 100 bucks a year for stuff I don’t need.

If you're a GIS user (ArcGIS, QGIS), Avenza is nice in that it will read any georeferenced PDF map. So you can make your own for whatever area you're hunting. It has GPS-like features, but I don't find it always replaces a GPS.

GAIA is pretty decent, and I do use that when I'm more interested in routes, points, speeds, profiles, etc. than my relative position on a map with overlays.

Can't say anything about onX, as I don't have the subscription. I tried it early on and the offline downloads were too large to fit my phone storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back