Transporting animals across state lines?

duckhunt

Was reading a thread on rokslide about transporting your kill legally. The thought never crossed my mind as long as the proper tag was on the animal. Has anyone ever had issues when traveling through multiple states with game animals?

Nowadays you need to research state laws on transportation due to CWD. A number of states don’t allow transportation of brain tissue, spinal cord tissue, and/or bones. Skull caps must be clean and whole skulls have to be free of any brain tissue (ie your European is already boiled/beetled before you transport it.

It is illegal to transport game across most state lines on the bone. Wisconsin is working on legislation to make it illegal to transport meat out of county if it is a CWD infected area.

Boned out meat and cleaned skulls will meet the requirements for virtually every state as it stands right now. Fines can be fairly hefty and your animal will be confiscated if you are caught transporting something not in compliance with state law.

Edit: assuming you are primarily asking about cervids here.

Also, along with CWD precautions some states like California require a declaration form at the state line when entering with game or fish. It's a bit of a hassle if you don't fill out form ahead of time.
Proof of sex may be another consideration while transporting

I live in Minnesota and am going rifle deer hunting in Nebraska, so i looked up MN laws for bring back a deer. You can't have any spinal cord, or brain matter at all brought in. But it is different if you're just passing through, then i believe you can transport the entire animal.

I live in Minnesota and am going rifle deer hunting in Nebraska, so i looked up MN laws for bring back a deer. You can't have any spinal cord, or brain matter at all brought in. But it is different if you're just passing through, then i believe you can transport the entire animal.

I would double check your last sentence. I doubt any exceptions are made regarding the purported end destination. It’s likely illegal to possess or transport it period.

"Non-residents who are transporting whole or partial carcasses on a direct through Minnesota are exempt from these restrictions. Similar laws that may be more restrictive exist in all states surrounding Minnesota." From the MN DNR site

"Non-residents who are transporting whole or partial carcasses on a direct through Minnesota are exempt from these restrictions. Similar laws that may be more restrictive exist in all states surrounding Minnesota." From the MN DNR site

Right...so you are subject to that law if/while you are traveling through Minnesota. I can tell you though that most states have much more stringent laws than that regarding transport, and do not differentiate based on residence. You’ll need to comply with the law in each state you are traveling through.

Here's the rule right out of the hand book, I have no idea how they are going to enforce the rules since non-residents traveling through the state are exempt.

Deer Carcass Movement Restrictions

Deer harvested from anywhere outside Minnesota Only the following parts of deer may be brought into Minnesota, from anywhere: 1) Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached, 2) Meat that is boned out or that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately), 3) Hides and teeth, 4) Antlers or clean (no brain tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached, and 5) Finished taxidermy mounts. Nonresidents transporting whole or partial carcasses on a direct route through Minnesota are exempt from this restriction.

Tagging this question in here as I feel it's slightly related.....

What are you supposed to do if you're moving your permanent residency from one state to another and have home processed game that you're taking with you (i.e. still have leftover deer, turkey, etc. from previous season)? Would you still need to worry about the legal aspects of transporting it as it's already been processed for human consumption?

Clarification:

Interstate Game Tags
You must have an interstate game tag if you:
Are shipping, transporting, or receiving for shipment or transportation any game animal, game bird, or part of a game animal or game bird and…
Are not accompanying the game yourself.
To get an interstate game tag, you must:
Complete an interstate game tag affidavit and…
Purchase the tag from a game tag distributor authorized by the WGFD.

https://law.justia.com/codes/wyoming/2011/title23/chapter3/section23-3-106/

What are you supposed to do if you're moving your permanent residency from one state to another and have home processed game that you're taking with you (i.e. still have leftover deer, turkey, etc. from previous season)? Would you still need to worry about the legal aspects of transporting it as it's already been processed for human consumption?

I put it in a cooler with dry ice. Depends on how far you’re going, the temperature and how it’s wrapped. I prefer vacuum sealed-if it slightly thaws it doesn’t make a mess like paper does.

To my knowledge, no state has yet placed restrictions on meat that has been processed for consumption.

A little off the subject, but...Make sure your game is actually legal and tagged properly. Crossing state lines or through federal property (like a National Forest) with illegal wildlife is a felony under the Lacy Act. This isn't prosecuted very often, but it was used to coerce Missouri mountain lion poachers into a plea bargain on state charges.

Has anyone actually had their animal checked before crossing state lines? I have only ever seen two wardens in the field and never had an animal checked other than bears, which I might add have always been a bit of a pain as they agents were only available 9-5, M-F. I've never even encountered a drive by check station.

Wouldn't a normal police officer have to have probable cause to pull you over if you were driving down the highway? Wouldn't you have to agree to a search? Are state and local police trained in CWD laws and would they know how to enforce them?

I have always been compliant with the law while traveling, I just have never seen a hint of enforcement and not sure if these laws are enforced.

I have been thoroughly checked on Interstate 90 in SD. (Middle of the state) It was a mandatory check point, all pickups and campers and anyone who had been hunting or fishing had to exit and vehicles were checked. Many citations were written for too many pheasants. We were transporting a SD mule deer and had no issues. Also hit another mandatory checkpoint just outside the little town or Rock River WY a couple years ago. All great officers who did their job and got us on our way in a hurry.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back