NM Gila Fire 2018

CForest

Hey guys, heard there was a large fire that started up in 16D just recently. Anyone know the status of it?? Or a good site to follow along the status?? If there was going to be a fire now is probably the best time, before the monsoon season hits. Will hopefully lead to some great feeding grounds come fall! At least that is what I'm telling myself ha

"Summary: The Buzzard Fire is burning on National Forest lands approximately four (4) miles north of Eagle Peak. A new start was reported on May 22, north of Eagle Peak Lookout. An air reconnaissance flight had confirmed the start and the fire is now at approximately 3,000 acres. The forest has imposed a Temporary Flight Restriction for over the fire. Values at risk include private property, the Continental Divide Trail, North Fork Negrito, Eagle Peak Lookout, Mexican spotted owl critical habitat, narrow-headed garter snake and Chiricahua Leopard frog habitat and rangeland grazing. A CDT re-route in in process. A Temporary Flight Restriction is in place over the fire."

https://nmfireinfo.com/2018/05/23/g...pdate-on-buzzard-fire-may-23-2018-at-700-p-m/

It is burning into what did not burn in the last huge fire & it is sad. Dense stands of old growth is not common anymore in Gila now. The pendulum.
Got extremely smokey here for a while yesterday. I watched it blow up in the afternoon from my place. Heard the smoke hit Alb. in evening.
Been calm all morning but the smoke is back now.....I'm 40-60 mi north.
94 is firebase line . I'm sure there are closures going in soon.

FYI,AZ FS has closed Sitgraves-Apache Forest all along the boundary from Springerville/Alpine area across Mogollon Rim .

pictures I have seen look pretty bad, and according to the links is growing rapidly. Prayers for all involved, don't know the country at all but hopefully it will get to something to slow it down!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back