PEAX Equipment

Iron will

CBender09

Anyone on here shooting Iron Will broad heads? If so, are they the vented, or the newer solid heads?
Would like to hear people’s thougts on why they picked vented/solid, and pros/cons for each (other than price).
They seem to be talked about quite a bit these days, and am very intriguiged. I’ve been carrying (have yet to stick anything with them) grim reapers mechanicals for the last 5 years or so. With a big, once in a lifetime elk hunt coming up this fall, might make the switch to a 2-blade fixed head, to minimize any potential problems..

I would definitely suggest going to a fixed. I can't say I see why/how a broadhead is worth $40/each, when so many others kill so well, last so long, and give you the oppurutnity to carry three for each IW.

FWIW, I have seen a force test done with IW vs other broadheads where you putt he BH on a scale, push down on it with a deer hide and measure pounds to penetrate. Stingers have consistently come out on top, followed by various chisel points. IW did not fare as well as these. Stingers took around 1.5lbs, IW was more like 6lbs.

Ive never tested any of these Iron Will broadheads, but like anything else, if you don't mind the price tag, go for it and try them out! There is a podcast with the founder of IW and the gritty bowmen that talk about the history, engineering, and superior design used to formulate their broadheads. Might be something to check out. I personally shoot Slick Trick 4 blades, and I will continue to do so because of price, and the good results I have had from them. All personal preference IMO. Probably not the most informative post, but I too am curious as to what "real world" evidence is out there to justify the cost and support the "superior" broadhead statement. If you do end up getting a set, let us know how they work for you!

Also like 406Life said, I too would suggest moving to a fixed. My main reason is that you will never have to question in any state, whether you can use them or not.

I bought some Iron Will's last summer. The vented 100 grain. They didn't have the solid version at the time, or I would have gotten those. I had thoughts of using them for my MT Moose tag last year, but ended up taking the moose with a rifle in November. So I've only shot them at my 18-1 block. I will say that they fly amazing and the one I've shot (at least 50 times into the 18-1) is still razor sharp. For me, they shoot with Field points out to 50 yards (confirmed). I haven't tested them at longer distances.

I do shoot Slick Tricks, Montec and have some Solids (all 100 gr). Last year I took 1 deer with a Solid (42 yard shot) and 1 with a Slick-trick (24 yard shot). I haven't wanted to use one of the IW's on a deer, only because of cost.

Solid broadheads are supposed to be quieter. I use a solid 3 blade VPA at 150 grains. They fly true in my bow. Someday I'll be given the chance to use them on an elk or deer.....someday.

I got a few of the solid 125's for an elk hunt this year. Haven't tried em yet

I would definitely suggest going to a fixed. I can't say I see why/how a broadhead is worth $40/each, when so many others kill so well, last so long, and give you the oppurutnity to carry three for each IW.

FWIW, I have seen a force test done with IW vs other broadheads where you putt he BH on a scale, push down on it with a deer hide and measure pounds to penetrate. Stingers have consistently come out on top, followed by various chisel points. IW did not fare as well as these. Stingers took around 1.5lbs, IW was more like 6lbs.
Think you could post a link to one of these videos or where you got this from? Never heard of or seen that kind of test done...even though I feel like I’ve seen everything about them lol also seems a bit odd. Everyone love them, they’re supposed to be ridiculously sharp, and stay sharp.

I got a few of the solid 125's for an elk hunt this year. Haven't tried em yet

That’s what I was thinking of going with too. Got enough for a 3 pack, just waiting on payday so I can get 6...I want a full quiver lol if you beat me to testing, let me know how they do. I’d like to know how well they shoot out to 80-100yds (I generally don’t shoot that far. Just practice far away to make closer shots on elk easier).

Thanks for all the replies.
I don’t mind spending money on the best stuff out there. I can see why they are worth so much, given the materials and R&D that went into them. I have heard nothing but good things about them (other than price of course). Even the “best” average priced fixed blades out there still have a few negative reviews, which iron will does not (so far anyways).
I’ve read/heard from a few sources that the penetration is outstanding, which is huge for a big bodied animal like elk, moose, bear, etc. When a head can enter just in front of the hind quarter on one side and blow through the other side in front of the front shoulder, that’s a long wound channel in an elk. Something that I think a lot of the other big name heads might lack a little.
I’ll have to order some up soon, and get them in my quiver. Still gonna carry the Carni-Four 125s for deer and antelope tho....since penetration is less of a worry with those. Gotta see what kind of hole they will leave

Think you could post a link to one of these videos or where you got this from? Never heard of or seen that kind of test done...even though I feel like I’ve seen everything about them lol also seems a bit odd. Everyone love them, they’re supposed to be ridiculously sharp, and stay sharp.

The IW weren't mine, but when I do it again, I'll make sure to post the results. I do it for Bowhunter Ed, which I only teach in the Spring.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back