Average Joe's 2018

Looks like a good elk season for sure. The only problem I see is you're going to need more wall space if you get anything else mounted.

Love that auodad. Hunted them once with a bow on public in Texas and had no idea what I was doing. I'd love to take one of those some day. Very cool animal!

Impressive critters and great taxidermy work for sure.

As for the trail cam pics...I would be CRAZY excited if I were you.

Lastly, Trying to figure out what to do with the bear I killed this spring, any chance of another pic or two of your bear mount?

Thank you, and yes, I'm already struggling to fall asleep at night because of how excited I am.

I'll send you some pics in a PM when I get home this afternoon.

The Mounts look amazing! The country you are scouting looks even better, and the trail cam pics are just AWESOME!!!!

Thanks. I way over spent on mounts the last 2 years, but I feel better knowing that they'll be amazing to look at for the rest of my life.

As far as the elk go... This year will be the 3rd year I've hunted that area, and I have over 50 days of hunting/scouting it. I think I have a pretty good idea of how to hunt it. I can't wait for the season to start.

Holy carp those trail cam photo elk are bonkers!

What's even better is that all of these pics were within a 3 mile radius of each other. We'll have no shortage of options when the time comes.

That 7x7 looks young to me , doesn't have the mass like a couple of those 6x6's . They all look pretty to me!!!!

I agree. He looks to be at the beginning of his prime years. I'm not an expert nor an elk biologist, but I figure he's 6-ish years old. No way I'd pass any of the bulls I posted here. Heck, there's a dozen or more smaller bulls I have on camera that I'd be stoked to put an arrow through.

Love that auodad. Hunted them once with a bow on public in Texas and had no idea what I was doing. I'd love to take one of those some day. Very cool animal!

Aoudad are amazing animals, and other than bugling elk, they are my favorite animal to hunt. They're majestic and tough, and live in some of the roughest terrain in the country. Taking one with a bow on public land is a dream of mine. I hope you get the chance to go after them again.

Got this in the mail today... Things are getting real close.

89863b2de05702badf137ede9ac70556.jpg

It's hard to believe that I'll be helping a buddy find elk this weekend! Only 4 days to go, and my elk season officially starts.

I’ve been finishing out two classes so I could take a couple months off to hunt, so sorry for the absence!

I’ve been absolutely crushing the gym, shooting daily, and I couldn’t be anymore ready for this season.

I’m leaving for New Mexico in about 16 days and my season opens in 19.

Arrows are flying great
65eaca099777d455fe313c5f388093c2.jpg

I started hanging horns some days when I shoot. Maybe it’ll help me stay calm when I draw on a good bull haha. I’ve been known to get a little wild.

Broadheads are also shooting well at 10-40

e9b11bc105ac3dcdee98d1481acf90d3.jpg

I’ve got 5 cameras up in NM and a couple in Kansas.

Most of my NM cams are tucked way away, but I told a friend where one was.

He said it was loaded with elk.
Here are just a few

463317cc761411f4339d5ea91c63d61a.jpg

d4688a8d36c19c0b17a292ad6c777398.jpg

Some pictures are also starting to roll in from Kansas

51023fb43243cf4cdad9da2ba0bd2975.jpg

d281ed22fc2e116cafca60d3c388e629.jpg

This is going to be such an amazing year.

I’ll be tying up a couple loose ends the next couple weeks, continuing hitting the gym and shooting.

I cannot wait to get into the beautiful mountains.

I have a lot of pics to go through from this weekend. Had many close encounters with some really nice elk, but they were very aware of which side of the fence was safe. No elk were harmed in the taking of these pictures.

9a3f90ffdaa4f4bd0835601d48ec1ef5.jpg

e1f8894ce8b1ffb0f83f7e039bfdf8db.jpg

4631b9b2eaae99ba57876ba9e517be65.jpg

7daab9028495f9134c338e1b7727212b.jpg

67ba2ac293b01a91131f36b408b63d5b.jpg

I have a few videos to upload as well, and I'll be working on getting that done throughout the week. Lots of last minute preparation and less than 5 days to get it done before I'm off to hunt Oregon for the first time in my life.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to introduce a high school friend and his dad to the wonders of western hunting. Late last year, my buddy hit me up, told me he traveled to eastern Idaho for work several times a year, and asked if I'd be willing to show him the ropes and maybe hunt some elk.

Well that's an offer I can't turn down.

As the calendar sorted it's self out, he lined up a work trip scheduled for this week, so he and his dad bought tags and came out a few days early to hunt elk in the desert. This wouldn't be a "classic western elk hunt" by any stretch of the imagination. We were hunting farm fields and desert. We couldn't even see the mountains because of all of the smoke.

Despite the fact that we were hunting hay fields and desert, the guys were excited to be hunting elk.

a14670a55adec6d2f7fe54cee6976c00.jpg

a6bff771169ed2299f2048f5122d3c47.jpg

The plan was simple. Drive around, cover as much ground as possible, find elk, figure out a way to kill them.

It didn't take long to find elk, the only problem was they knew they were safe.

2fdf31fabe2fbe7580ecd443d4472d25.jpg

We found a very large herd on a property we couldn't hunt. So we started knocking on doors, flagged down a few tractors, and made some phone calls. Unfortunately, we didn't gain access to the fields they were feeding on that morning. The plan for the night was to have the hunters sit on a water tank not far from the elk while I sat and watched them from a distance.

19a8ad1086e7546dc39418ac9cadd80a.jpg

783304ec60c2cc621905f8257297eab0.jpg

314e9f21c3947ee06008fd4196988231.jpg

7767d22ac20ae8bd21cef4ad7d2decce.jpg

Unfortunately for my buddies, the elk didn't move the right direction, but they did go to a different field that we didn't ask for permission to hunt yet. We decided to check a different area the second morning, and midday we'd call the landowner.

The morning of day two falls solidly into the unfruitful category. We checked out an area I'd never been to, and it wasn't just a dry hole, it was bone dry, resembling more of a real life Hell's scape. Hey, at least we could check this spot off the list.

9a15b95f48cd1fd9c494f0b0a87ad960.jpg

While making the drive back to the hotel, we made the call to the landowner of the field we watched the entire herd feast on the night before. And as luck would have it, a few dairy farmers from the Midwest were able to sweet talk their way on to a prime piece of elk hunting real estate. Things were looking up!

We discussed the evening's plans over a hard earned Culver's butterburger, cheese curds, and a pint of custard. We decided to do a a similar plan of attack as the previous night. I'd watch the herd, and they'd sit on the field and wait.

The evening started with a very positive vibe. The elk were bedded 3/4 of a mile away from the field, and the wind was good. It looked like a slam dunk.

fd692ee473efe148825e8dbaaa5422d4.jpg

Well apparently nobody filled the elk in on our plan. The main herd did not move toward either of our locations, all except for this nice young bull who decided to come hang out with me.

8d4fa98c9322a1f52e6568b601a918a8.jpg

He watched the herd for a few minutes and he turned 180 away from them and walked straight to me.
c962922efe0649b53e4c6912b7eecc68.jpg

66fc44bcea4ca0e229672e5b6a595110.jpg

He came to 35 yards before angling away.

656bd87a5aefc6c4b5c8e1ef9f71a3cb.jpg

And then he decided he was too tired to stand any more.

42926a1154e1be6ca87e11d6358e17f5.jpg

67 yards away! Talk about a gross miscalculation. Haha. There I was, with a bull laying well within range, and no tag. Haha. Oh well.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the property, my buddies had a close call with 4 raghorns. The bulls hugged the wrong side of the fence until the last 10 minutes of legal shooting light. When they finally crossed over to the hay field, the elk were just below a slight drop off and never presented a clean shot. Soooo close!

It was unfortunate that I couldn't stay longer, but I had to get back to work Monday morning. (I didn't sleep much Sunday night, but I wasn't late for work.)

My buddies sat on that field Monday and Tuesday, but never saw another elk. They did sit down with the landowner for a few hours, talking farming, and sharing stories. It's rare, but always refreshing to meet a genuinely nice person who seems just as excited for you to hunt their land as you are to hunt it.

My friend's dad had to fly home today, and sadly left without punching his tag. He was grateful to have had an opportunity and realizes that's more than most people get.

My buddy will have 2 more nights to hunt, so hopefully the elk come back and he's able to capitalize on the opportunity. It would be awesome if they could make it happen.

Amazing photos! Definitely doesn't look like your typical elk habitat at least none that I’ve hunted.

Last edited:
I leave for Oregon tomorrow afternoon... Should probably finish building my arrows. I'm going with a 505gr Easton Axis .300 w/ 6 fletch 1.75" bohning x-vane and 100gr kudupoint. Should be a solid elk setup.

21825605585bb95148e332be61b7eac6.jpg

b07af63240d4e7c8fa40f23e5c45ea3d.jpg

As I said earlier, this will be the first time I've ever stepped foot in Oregon with a tag in my hand, and because I spent most of my summer away from home for work, I haven't been able to scout the area either. We're going in totally blind; no insider info, I didn't even scour the interwebs and forums to see if people had hunted there. I just looked at harvest statics for the unit and spent a couple dozen hours pouring over it on Google Earth.

I don't really have any expectations other than the fact that we'll spend a week in the unit, hunting as hard as we can. I'll be hunting with one of my best friends, and hunting in what looks to be some rugged and beautiful terrain. It could be a total ball buster and we very well could leave out tags unpunched, but that's fine with us. We'll give 'er hell and have a ton of fun doing it.

Since I don't believe in luck I'll leave you with this quote before officially starting my season.

8686348c9d24b995517d8c69b4012e4d.jpg

Back