Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Average Joe's 2018

Lots of driving to do, so I'll wait to post the full story. But I will say it was a great culmination to a fun hunt.

90ef95fa75cbd18171e3dd03e5ba768d.jpg

As Dan said in his last post, we found ourselves in the middle of a bugle-fest and had a close encounter with a nice bull Monday morning. As the bull followed his cows across the drainage, I was able to get a few pictures of him.

9815b0fb8b92b64e045c3904d78035a3.jpg

6c22c4f378a594dc016ea3fc352d8543.jpg

After the packing Rob's bull off the hill, we headed back to where we'd last heard the bull bugle, but he never showed himself. Since it was covered in elk sign, and because we'd heard a ton of different bugles in the are decided to hunt the same spot the next morning.

----------

I admit that I am absolutely not a morning person, and if given the chance, I'd start hunting around 9 every morning. That said, after the previous day's encounter and a dream filled with bugles and rut crazed bulls, I had no problem pulling myself out of bed Tuesday morning.

I was so excited to hunt that morning (and full from the moose burgers) that I had a hard time eating my breakfast. Even though the weather was warm, we felt positive about the day. We were confident we'd at least have an encounter. There were just too many elk in this spot.

After closing the truck doors, our morning constitutions were encouraged out by that morning's coffee. We had to take care of some paperwork before we could figure out which bugle we were going to chase after. Once the paperwork was sorted, we quickly discussed the plan. The raspiest bugle with the most favorable wind just do happened to be in the same place we walked the day before. So the plan was easy; wait for the sun to rise enough to see any nearby elk before they saw us, walk toward the bugling bull with the wind in our faces, and keep the bull bugling with calls if needed. Simple.

As the sun rose, the raspy bugle made its way to the top of the ridge, so we followed him. He would bugle regularly enough that we had no difficulty knowing his location. We moved quickly, and didn't pay much attention to being quiet, but we kept our eyes alert and scanning. We knew from the previous morning that there was a series of small meadows on top of the ridge which were connect by a well used trail, so we made our way to those meadows. When I noticed we were almost to the first meadow, I slowed down to get a better look.

As I was stopping to glass the meadow with my binos, an elk trotted out to the center of the meadow and stared directly at us. It was a bull! I nocked an arrow, hooked my release on the loop and asked Dan for a range. I adjusted my sight, set my feet, exhaled, and drew my bow…..

I could not, for the life of me, get my pin settled, but when I did I executed my shot sequence, and the arrow was away. I was sure that I pulled the shot a little left. I have no recollection of seeing the arrow in flight, just the distinct “popping” sound of a chest impact and the shock in realising that the elk wasn't just a bull, but that he was a nice bull. The first feeling I had was solid lump in my stomach. I felt sick. Dan said the shot was good, but it just didn't feel great about it.

The bull and his cows ran up the ridge and stopped 150 yards away from us. The bull was perfectly silhouetted on the horizon. His rack was perfectly visible contrasted against rising sun. He was beautiful, and not at all what I thought I was shooting. I honestly didn't think he was anything more than a raghorn. But he was magnificent.

We watched him stand there for nearly ten minutes, tilting his head side to side and looking hurt, before he laid down. I did like seeing him stand their for so long, and the whole situation did not settle my stomach. I had to lay down. It was 0648

Thankfully Dan was much more optimistic than I was. After all, he did see the arrow hit the bull. In my doubt, I chose to wait until 10:00 before we would go after him.

About 15 minutes later we heard a rustle in the oaks coming to our left and what sounded like dogs panting. A few seconds later, 2 cow elk ran across the meadow 20 yards away from us. 10 seconds later a small raghorn trotted by and stopped in the meadow, mouth wide open, tongue hanging out, and panting like a dog.

At 730 a herd of beef cows fed across the meadow and straight to where the bull was bedded. I thought, “perfect… those cows are going to bump that bull, and it's going to be a pain to find him again.” When the cattle got to about 15 yards of the bull, they all stopped in their tracks and stared in the direction of the bull. After a minute long staredown, the cattle did a sharp about face, and fed away from the elk. This helped ease my stress, and when the cow elk stood up and walked away a couple minutes later, I was feeling pretty good about the situation.

A few minutes after the cow elk left, we decided to go look for the arrow and then we'd go back to the truck to wait until 10. I walked out into the meadow and found a few large drops of blood where he was standing at the shot, but no arrow. I waived Dan over. We followed a small, but increasing blood trail to the edge of the meadow.

2ba4d431483f288b27a9b029a600b6af.jpg

The oak scrub where he exited the meadow was covered in blood head high. Dan said, “you should go get your bow.”

492bd133541be7e942ed6709dae8c186.jpg

cf4f441bd85ec2eede7535fbec93799d.jpg

“Ah, yep.” I replied.

It wasn't a challenge to follow the red path to the bull.

d8f5daf3c20e27175fc109841a7133a0.jpg

dce799c83530979fc00b2c8e778c09e9.jpg

My doubt and anxiety was unwarranted. Though the arrow impacted slightly left of perfect, it still hit the right lung and the main arteries and veins in the liver. He died shortly, if not immediately, after laying down.

736ef9981a8326463153229f648d54c2.jpg

f6e95a2f323ba6d13ae3cec191fbe459.jpg

7d7965f8abad28d7e44cc04843efd0c8.jpg

cc34aa977a47783fe96358201a8440b7.jpg

c899c7c2f8b2ad57c1bb0ec7a3d005f5.jpg

36ff9dc49444741852525014d7b68f77.jpg

There aren't many moments in my life where I struggle to come up with the words to describe what I'm thinking, but walking up on an animal I killed is one of those times. I don't think I'll ever be be able to fully explain the strange mix of emotions I feel in that moment. Some of the feelings could be described as remorse for the death of the animal, joy in the sense of accomplishment the harvest brings, and gratefulness for the animal's life and for everything that brought our lives together. Hunting and killing exposes us to a primal set of feelings and emotions that cannot be experienced through any other activity, and those experiences are what keep me up at night and ultimately keep me going back into the woods every year.

92a722096e47a064e746dd0a9f217491.jpg

The meat is also what keeps me and my family alive and healthy. It also helps convince my wife that this crazy addiction of mine is worth it.

5dda47a64d856371936b12f3c9179569.jpg

I couldn't be more thankful to have spent the hunt with great friends. This was the first elk I'd ever killed with someone else. And I couldn't be more thankful for all of the help on the pack out (even if it was the shortest one I've ever done. ;) )

c21ac538861584f6b89cfa26c3a4fea8.jpg

bc366bdd17d9d7b9320e599907c8a960.jpg

After looking at the photos a little closer, I realized that the bull we called in on Monday was the same bull I killed. If you look really closely at the heavily cropped pics of the bull on the hoof, you'll see the small extra point on his left sword and the wound from another hunter's arrow which was lodged in the bull's right shoulder.

6b4f8e7905a48a1f8e588090f52de2da.jpg

c7dd2f6d187642634e30feff2cdf296e.jpg

3cb0b6b2173632b1d1d421f0ff175f0c.jpg

151d33b4fc2d062ad7673efe18e411f6.jpg

The toughness of these animals is impressive. The bull seemed no worse for wear, and had no issue running around the oak scrub to watch ward off any satellite bulls that attempted to get near his cows.

CJ has mentioned that not soon after the shot we had that other bull come in panting like a down and pushing those other cows...

b34e2257d4e8caa7d9b7501505f53ecc.jpg

c46823043b033dd60f865ec1e380af11.jpg

CJ’s elk was one of the biggest elk I’ve been a part of butcher and breaking down, but we owe a huge shoutout and THANK YOU to crossbowguy for making us these knives. I know he put a lot of hard work into them and they were absolutely fantastic on this trip for breaking our elk down.

8fb5acf3df963867e63ad870a8fe60c4.jpg

cb31bc3a6dee9842c6cf3925ff0e9081.jpg

64bcf85855016e13b6e5964797f6a45c.jpg

18db9b4d4752dc4390825adf07ab4062.jpg

We cannot wait to use them again!!!!

I am so glad that you both had such and exciting hunt! Congratulations on two great bulls, your hard work paid off!!! Thank you for the shout out, I'm just glad that those knives performed the way that I had hoped for you. Two great guys, fellow veterans, tagged out in NM and I couldn't be happier for you both! Keep the stories coming guys!!!!!

Oh my word! How cool is that?!

What a great story and a great bull.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks for all of the kind words and congratulations! I'll keep this short since I'm about to pass out from exhaustion.

I made it to Oregon with about an hour and a half of light left. So I went straight to the bottom of spike meadow.

f3d311e311710b9e86aff9a582efa4b9.jpg

Since it was so late, I creapt in slowly and ended up bumping into the back of the herd. It sounded like one herd bull, and 5 or 6 cows. The bull would bugle barely loud enough to hear it

I tried to coax them out of the new growth, but they just never came out. Oh well, I'll be back in there tomorrow morning to give it another shot.

It's pretty cold up here, so I'm really hoping the bulls are bugling in the morning.

Luck was not on my side today.

The morning started out promising, as I awoke to a light layer of frost on the ground and the wind was steady out of the north. Which was perfect for where I wanted to be for the morning sit. I heard a bugle in the direction I was going to hunt, which made it even better.

As I was almost to the spot, I heard a quiet bugle and some twigs and branches breaking just up the hill from me. "Perfect," I thought. I was sure they would walk down the same trail we watched them use before, but, like every other time here in this god forsaken place, the elk had other plans.

It just so happened that their other plans were to hit a wallow 150 yards away and out of sight from me.

80bf9db5c3e7cc403b2d9fd47ec0d896.jpg

Once the winds started to get squirrelly, I decided to get out of there before I spooked everything. I wanted to check out a wallow near a bedding area we'd seen the last time we were here. The wind was perfect and consistent to walk into the spot (something that has never happened in my time here).

At 1130 I had about 500 yards to go to get to the wallow when a strong elk stink hit me. I decided to do some quiet, but long cow calls. A bull responded with a low and quiet bugle after my second call. He was close! I called again and he responded again, still very quiet.

After 2ish minutes of me breaking a few small twigs and scratching the ground, I heard him stand up. He let out a full bugle, and raked a tree. I moved a little closer, he bugled again, and started moving toward me.

I finally saw him when he was 100yds away. He was a big bull; 6x6, had great mass, dark horns, and long tines. He was everything an elk hunter dreams about.

I kept lightly cow calling, and he kept bugling. I thought it was a slam dunk. But..... Some other hunter decided he wanted in on the action and started blowing his bugle tube. He sounded terrible, and was not in a good position with the wind. The bull bugled back, but chuckled and started nudging his 4 cows (he might have had more, but I could only see four of them.)

As I heard the hunter crashing in on the bull, I watched as the elk made their way to the top of the ridge and out of my life.

The other hunter, who was higher on the ridge, bugled frantically and chased after them. The wind was at his back. It couldn't have gone any worse. It was a real head scratcher.

So I hiked out of there and back to spike meadow for the remainder of the afternoon. The only thing I heard was a pair of wolves howling far off in the distance.

ec2e8b6653020a99ef08074766d3938e.jpg

As soon as I zipped the door closed on my tent, the cows and calves started mewing all around me. I'm currently listening to wolves howling way far away, and elk bugling and mewing, and making all kinds of ruckus.... Where the heck were they when the sun was up?

The weather is suppose to be crappy tomorrow, so hopefully the hunting is good.

Well... I finally had an opportunity. Too bad I went full retard and ignored my rangefinder. Had a raghorn pop out of the new growth at first light. I snuck in to 45 yards, but he didn't give me a good shot angle until he was at 58. For whatever reason, my brain registered 68, not 58, so I was very disappointed when I watched the arrow sail directly over his back. What is this amateur hour? Gah.... So frustrating.

Oh well, the bull took off down the hill and I think he bedded down on the other side of the new growth. I didn't hear any elk sounds other than some barks on the ridge behind me. So I'll try to sneak in and get close to that spot for this afternoon.

I did find this piece of antler next to my arrow though. So at least it's a little easier to swallow the cost of the $15 broadhead...

55712ea663afcd5206c569c31b5fd3e1.jpg

I finally made it back home!

86dca66d16989c0bc453b7934f539e80.jpg

I got in last night and went at it today.
Took the family out to breakfast, to bass pro so I could get a grinder and food saver, then cut some elk meat!

034888ba3d2bcc056fa7cf73af2bf1a3.jpg

b7435cb0f305d092dbbf96da80869b1f.jpg

fb3fdb21fd02894d9d9b14f0c5be3db9.jpg

b36e2900cfb0e087240250d1d9f70ca5.jpg

Tomorrow is church, grinding all of the meat, then it’s back into the daily routine of gym, shooting my bow, and I’ll probably go check some game cameras.
With Florida’s opener less than a month a way I need to make sure I’m on top of that big buck and find some they targets too!
I need to keep the freezer filling going!

I also uploaded my elk shot.
I just have to ask Big Fin permission before I post it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like your into em' Mike keep it up and it will all come together.Great story line and pics.:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back