Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

I came home to a great surprise today. Thank you so much Crossbowguy for taking the time to craft these fine pieces for us. We truly appreciate it!!!!

I can’t wait to put it to good use this year.

2. Default

That’s a awesome looking knife.

Last year I did a load development with those VLD’s. I had really good luck either 185s, one difference I did notice was those bullets are very sensitive to how far off the lands they are seated. But it looks like you are well on your way. Good Luck.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Joel53 View Post
    That’s a awesome looking knife.
    I cannot wait to put it to work. They are sharp and ready to go. 81 days.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joel53 View Post
    Last year I did a load development with those VLD’s. I had really good luck either 185s, one difference I did notice was those bullets are very sensitive to how far off the lands they are seated. But it looks like you are well on your way. Good Luck.
    VLD's can be very sensitive, but once you find the right depth they're awesome. I prefer to use hybrids/elite hunters or eol's, but they've been tough to find since Berger relocated. Fortunately they're starting to show back up on shelves.
    "Never follow your passion, but always bring it with you." ~ Mike Rowe

5. Default

Looks like I won’t be hunting Iowa this year ��

I should be good to draw my unit next year though!!!

Thanks for the props Lostinthewoods! I'm hoping those hand crafted beauties stay sharp with that thick elk hide! The clover pattern pins are for luck, so hope you take some more monsters this year!

7. Default

I got some pictures yesterday that have my foaming at the mouth.

My 2017 NM antelope is ready and I could not be more excited with how it turned out. It was a neat buck with some cool characteristics and the taxidermist was able to capture them really well.

September can’t get here quick enough. Now I’m excited to chase elk and to pick this up.

Very cool looking animal with an even better story/hunt!!!!

Well, Idaho draws were released yesterday, and I got "Not Selected" across the board. But my wife drew her 2nd choice elk tag! She got lucky and plucked a late Dec cow tag. I'm pretty excited for the hunt. We will probably be bringing the kids with us again, just like last year's deer hunt. It could get pretty sporty, especially if the weather gets cold, but we'll make it happen.

With the draws out of the way, my plans are just about finalized. I have a 6 week long work trip to Texas starting tomorrow, so summer scouting isn't going to happen. I plan on heading to NM on the way home and hunting barbary sheep for a few days in mid-august. I'm going to hold out for a mature ram, or shoot a big ewe to get mounted as a companion for the one I got last year. Those things are just too cool, and a pair would be awesome to have.

Aug and Sep schedule (ELK):
    I'm helping a friend from Wi chase elk in ID 25-26 Aug, and it looks like I'll be hunting elk with a buddy in Eastern Oregon Day 28 Aug to 3 Sep. I'll hunt deer after work near home between then and when I go to NM for the elk hunt down there.

October (Bear, Deer, Barbary re-attempt if needed, ID rifle Elk):
    I'm planning on heading up north to try to shoot a bear or two near where I was moose hunting last year. I'm planning on taking a few new hunters up to the mountains for deer in late October, in addition to helping my wife fill her deer tag again down in the desert.

November (ID rifle elk, archery mule deer, WI gun season)
    I'm still undecided on what i'm going to do for elk in Idaho, but I'm going to try to buy a quota rifle tag for late Oct/early Nov. If I can't get that tag, I'll have to figure out an OTC hunt somewhere. (there's a potential opportunity that I could archery hunt in ID the weekend of 8/9 Sep, but I won't have much time to get it done). I will buy a second deer tag for ID this year, and I'll hunt every opportunity I get until either the tags are full or the seasons are over. I'm going to go home to WI and hunt the gun season for the first time in 9 years (as well as spend Thanksgiving with the family).

December (Cow elk/late season deer)
    The only plans for December are filling my wife's cow tag, and maybe hunting late season deer in ID (assuming I have a tag still).

As always, I have to be flexible, and the schedule will most likely change A LOT. But if all goes well, I might have to buy another freezer. That's a problem I'm willing to deal with.

I'm a little sad I won't be able to do any significant scouting this summer, but I can't wait to get the hunting started!

While I was on my way down to Texas for work, I got a notification that the National Forest in NM was opened back up to the public. So I did what any elk nut would do if given the opportunity... I altered my route a little bit and spent a day scouting.

The first few wallows I checked out were bone dry, and it wasn't giving me any warm fuzzies that the area was going to hold elk this year.

I did pick up 2 sheds to add to the sell pile though, so that's always nice.

After checking 5 other potential water holes and hanging 2 cameras on a moist spot, I headed to my honey hole a few miles away from any roads. Sure enough, there's a solid reason why this spot has produced in the past.

I found a spring that had a steady flow of running water coming straight out of the side of the mountain. There were elk EVERYWHERE in this little remote drainage. I saw two groups of 15+ cows and calves, and even got within 120yds of 6 decent bulls. One of which was a really nice 6x6. Unfortunately I had just put my camera in my pack to protect it from a nasty monsoon that dumped a ton of water on me.

Overall I'd say the scouting trip was a huge success. I hung 4 cameras which should give us a solid idea of what's in the area. Fingers crossed that they're still there come September.

11. Default

This is making me want to meet you on your way back home so we can check our cameras lol

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinthewoods View Post

Looks like I won’t be hunting Iowa this year ��

I should be good to draw my unit next year though!!!
    What unit in Iowa are you looking at?

What part of NM were you in CJ? I have a cousin that lives in Springer and I have always wanted to visit him!

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunt View Post
    W
    What unit in Iowa are you looking at?
    Unit 7!
    If my calculations were right I had about a 40% chance of drawing and didn’t.
    Next year I’ll be a shoe in!

15. Default

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbowguy View Post
    What part of NM were you in CJ? I have a cousin that lives in Springer and I have always wanted to visit him!
    We're in Northern NM. I don't want to get too specific and end up lowering our odds of drawing this unit again. It's one of those sleeper units that has good draw odds and good success rates. People don't think of it as a trophy unit, but I've seen a few bulls come out of the unit that almost anyone would be happy to kill.

That's right in my neck of the woods. Let me know if I can help with any info when you do draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinthewoods View Post
    Unit 7!
    If my calculations were right I had about a 40% chance of drawing and didn’t.
    Next year I’ll be a shoe in!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunt View Post
    That's right in my neck of the woods. Let me know if I can help with any info when you do draw.
    I’ll be honest, one of the things I always ask when I go to a new area is where are the best local food joints. I love little mom and pop places or local dives. I’ll be staying in dysart when I go up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234