Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Average Joe's 2018

Itís that time again! Looking back at our thread from last season, https://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...ith-Dan-and-CJ Dan and I decided to keep our goals basically the same. We hope share our experiences in the most authentic way we can, and through our stories, illustrate to people the abundance of opportunity that exists in this great nation. All you have to do is take advantage of it.

Since Dan and I are both constantly trying to improve ourselves, we each have a few things we want to do better this season than we did last year. My biggest personal goal for this season is to improve my storytelling and photography. Primarily, telling a better story through my photos. I really want to capture the special moments with my camera, and share them in a meaningful way.

As far as the hunting goesÖ well weíre nearly 6 months into 2018, and the majority of our plans for the year are beginning to solidify. So far Dan and I will have at least one hunt weíll share together, and I canít wait for it.

As of right now, I have one big elk hunt on the schedule this September, but Iím also hoping to sneak away to Oregon for an early archery hunt over Labor Day weekend. (Maybe Iíll get lucky like I did last year and kill one on the first day A guy can dream, right?) Earlier this year, I half-jokingly said to Dan that Iíd like to kill either 3 elk or an elk in 3 states this year, but itíll take a lot of luck to get it done since my work schedule is busier than Iíd like. I will for sure be hunting deer and elk in ID, but Iím still waiting on ID deer, elk, and antelope results to come out to know when those hunts will happen. Iím applying for rifle deer and elk tags, and an archery antelope tag. I'm also throwing a wild dart into the Arizona deer draw, but the results are doubtful.

My wife is applying for deer, elk, and antelope rifle tags here in Idaho. And lastly I will most likely buy 2 deer tags in ID, since Iím kinda starting to get addicted to chasing muleys. Itís just too much fun not to do it more.

Regardless of the tags that find their way into my pocket, my biggest hunting goal for this season is to take new or inexperienced hunters out into the field. If that means I donít get much time to hunt for myself, Iím not too worriedÖ. My freezer is pretty full after all. I feel Iíve been blessed more than enough, and I really look forward to helping some buddies put meat in their freezers and create memories theyíll cherish forever.

In summaryÖ thereís more opportunity than what my calendar allows for, but the three priorities for the season are: do everything I can to help new or inexperienced hunters get out in the woods this fall, hunt elk in the rut with my bow, and take my wife on her first elk hunt. Iím sure Iíll do much more than those three things, and I canít wait to get it started.

Here are a few photos of what Iíve been up to so far this yearÖ

"The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there." ~ Vince Lombardi

VERY Excited to hear more about your adventures! Keep it up! Your photos look great and they will only get better. If you don't mind me asking, what camera gear do you use? We use a Canon 6D and have recently acquired a Tamron 150mm-600mm to use for wildlife and man was that a worthwhile investment. I have a whole new appreciation for birds now haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Los_Alce View Post
    VERY Excited to hear more about your adventures! Keep it up! Your photos look great and they will only get better. If you don't mind me asking, what camera gear do you use? We use a Canon 6D and have recently acquired a Tamron 150mm-600mm to use for wildlife and man was that a worthwhile investment. I have a whole new appreciation for birds now haha.
    Thanks!

My camera is an Olympus OMD em5 mkii, and my lenses are the Olympus 12-100 f4 pro, and Panasonic 100-300 f4/5.6. I really like the form factor of the micro 4/3's camera, but it does have its compromises. The 12-100 lens is absolutely fantastic for a walk around lens, and the image stabilization is terrific. But it is not good in lowlight.

I think if I could do it over again I'd go with the 6D for photos, and a 4k camcorder for video. That said, I'm still very happy with the setup I currently have. Its a solid do-all setup.
    "The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there." ~ Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by sn.outdoors View Post

I think if I could do it over again I'd go with the 6D for photos, and a 4k camcorder for video. That said, I'm still very happy with the setup I currently have. Its a solid do-all setup.
    Your setup looks and sounds very solid. You obviously found something that works well for you and really that's all that matters. Best of luck!

5. Default

Like CJ mentioned, there arenít too many changes this year as far as our goals go. 2018 is already shaping up to be such a fun year and we cannot wait to share it with you.

So far Iíve been fortunate enough to land a New Mexico archery elk and rifle antelope tag.

Iíll be in the elk mountains from Sept 7-24th. Iím going to head out a little early to help a buddy on his hunt and then roll right into mine.
    Im also very lucky because Iíll be able to tie in another antelope hunt into my New Mexico hunt. Oct 1-9th are the antelope dates. I plan on hunting an over the counter archery antelope state prior to my New Mexico antelope hunt and thatís going to be a ball.

Mid October I will be heading up to Kentucky because a good buddy of mine drew a KY cow elk hunt. Iím so excited to help on that hunt because my friend could potentially be killing his first elk in his home state, how neat is that?

Late October kicks of Florida deer and let me tell you, this year is going to be an interesting one. I will come back to this in another post though

November will also be an amazing month. I was fortunate enough to draw a Kansas archery tag. So I plan on tying the Kansas hunt in with an Oklahoma public land hunt. My good friend also drew a New Mexico mule deer hunt that I plan on helping him with. Heís never taken a deer yet, so Iíd love to be a part of that. Three years ago introduced him to hunting and itís been so fun watching him grow into the hunter heís become. Itís really what all of this is about. So November should be 2-3 weeks of fantastic deer hunting!

The remainder of November, December, January, and early February will be chasing whitetail in Florida and Kentucky! Again... in a few posts youíll understand why Iím going to invest a lot of time down here in Florida...

There are still a few draws left out there that Iím waiting on, but I have a feeling that this will most likely be this years plans.
    Iowa, Oklahoma, Maine, Wyoming, and Texas are the last draw states Iím waiting on and any drawn tags in those areas would really turn this into a extra interesting year.

Iíve got a lot of stories to catch up on, so Iíll keep this one short.
    We hope you enjoy following along this year. Last year was so much fun being able to share our experiences and interact with everyone. We love when people take their time to post in here and encourage you to as much as you want. Tell us what you think no matter it may be, bad or good, we are here to grow!

Take care and enjoy.
    Last edited by Lostinthewoods; 05-24-2018 at 05:50 AM.

This is absolutely awsome guys. I love following along on your hunts.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunt View Post
    This is absolutely awsome guys. I love following along on your hunts.
    We look forward to having you follow along again!

I'm always following along, all be it tough with kids playing sports every night, trying to get food plots in. I have both of your knife blades ground out ready for drilling the handles, polish, heat treat and final polish and sharpening. I look forward to watching your seasons unfold the good and the bad. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbowguy View Post
    I'm always following along, all be it tough with kids playing sports every night, trying to get food plots in. I have both of your knife blades ground out ready for drilling the handles, polish, heat treat and final polish and sharpening. I look forward to watching your seasons unfold the good and the bad. I look forward to hearing from you guys!
    I’m lucky now because my daughter is too young for sports. I know the crazy days are coming though!
    I hope you can get the plots in soon.

10. Default

My 2018 season officially kicked off in April.
    I met up with some friends at our annual Kansas TurkeyFest.
    We typically do it a little later in the season, but due to some work issues, we opted for the archery season! It didn’t matter though, we were there to hangout and have fun.

I hooked up and hit the road.

As you can see “camp” is vey rough. We have a fully stocked pond, dinner area, and some cover from the Kansas winds.

I got in a few hours before everyone so I did some quit bird scouting and exploring.

I found some birds right away, so things seemed to be off to a good start.

I did some walking and found this little guy.

I set up on the side of a field that evening and just glassed. It was so nice to watch the sun set over the wheat fields. Something I never got to experience when I grew up.

11. Default

My buddy who hosts the camp took me to his barn the night before everyone got me in and asked me something that almost made me faint.

He asked if I was interested in hunting his farms this upcoming season.....

Mind you he asking me this standing in front of all of these...

Of course I said yes and the trip was off to a killer start!

Here is another little treat my buddy has in his barn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Default

The trip immediately turned into 40-60mph winds, rain, sleet, and birds that were broken up.

There was plenty of exploring though and I got to scout all the spots I’ll be hunting this year.

13. Default

The funky shed I found got my buddy excited because he actually had pictures of him.

It’s a neat deer for sure and all of these sheds came off the same farm.

Some really neat areas out there for sure.

14. Default

One day my buddy said he wanted to show us a secret turkey spot....

This is what we drove up to...

His good buddy runs an elk ranch. It was amazing holding some of those 400”+ sheds.

We ended up getting skunked on the trip. The birds weren’t responding (probably because they couldn’t hear us beyond the wind), they weren’t broken up and in their normal areas, and it was chilly (for spring turkey season)

I did pick a mount off my buddies wall and told him this is the one I wanna shoot this upcoming year, so he needs to tie it to a tree

It was a great trip and I cannot wait to get back out there in November

Looking forward to watching your season unfold. Best of luck guy's.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
    Looking forward to watching your season unfold. Best of luck guy's.
    Thanks for following along! You’ll be able to see how the antelope hunt goes real time on here.
    I’ll take some good notes for you so it can help when you head out next year.

Will be following you guys again this year. You do it right!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bobbydean View Post
    Will be following you guys again this year. You do it right!
    Thanks for following along, bobbydean.
    I hope the New Mexico draw was good to you this year.

19. Default

So after I got back from my Kansas journey it was about time where Florida deer were starting to drop their antlers.
    There was one specific buck that I’ve been trying to peg for a while now, but with the odd Florida seasons, tons of safe zones, and pressure... he eluded me again this past season.

However... with a little walking and some knowledge from where I found sheds before.... I stumbled onto this....

As you can imagine I was screaming at the top of my lungs for joy when I found this bad boy. I now have sheds of his from 2014, 2015, and 2017. He’s a great deer!

I can tell you right now that I’m going to spend a lot of extra time this year trying to make this all happen. He’s an old deer, a smart deer, and he had these awkward Florida seasons to his advantage....
    but I will hunt smarter than I ever have, scout harder than I ever have and maybe, just maybe... it’ll all happen!

I'll be curious to see what he looks like this year. I have faith you'll at least get him on trail cam.

He looks like he might be on the edge of regressing antler wise. Look at that mass!

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vanish View Post
    I'll be curious to see what he looks like this year. I have faith you'll at least get him on trail cam.

He looks like he might be on the edge of regressing antler wise. Look at that mass!
    I’m kind of thinking you’re right and he was right on the edge. We may see a slight decline this year, but he’s carried this insane mass for a few years now and it should only get better. If he starts to “junk up” on the decline that could be a super cool buck.

Cameras will be out extra early this year so maybe I’ll catch some velvet pics!

22. Default

Earlier this month I had two work trips in Texas. One in Austin and one in Wichita Falls. That gave me the weekend off in between conferences, so I did what any normal person would do....

I drove out 8 hours to my NM elk unit, hiked 16 miles, hunt some cameras and scouted!

They looked at me kind of funny when I had game cameras in my carry on lol

The unit in hunting this year is beyond dry. The worst I’ve ever seen it.... I’ve been praying for rain!

I did find some nice pockets of water that were still deep enough... for now...

23. Default

My buddy came up that weekend to spend some time with me and he brought his family.

One day I took two of his boys out with me to find some sheds and hang some cameras... it went very well!

I was able to help his oldest find his first shed! He nearly fainted when he found it!

I found some too

Found this guy too, but those have to stay in the field!

24. Default

All in all it was a great, very fast, but very effective scouting trip.

I believe I’ve got 5 cameras up, all my old spots look good, and found a few more that look extremely promising.

The animals all look extremely healthy (saw 22 elk, 8 deer, and some turkeys)

I cannot wait to get back up there to the mountains this September. It’s going to be an amazing trip.

There is something very special about this place....

Oh and of course I had to stop at my favorite little country general store.

This is always the worst feeling ever....

25. Default

Speaking of turkeys....

I’ve hunted a unit in NM for a few seasons now for elk. Every fall I’d see TONS of turkeys, but for the life of me couldn’t figure out why they didn’t have a season for fall turkey.

So one day I sent an email to game and fish and was referred to a lady who specialized in turkeys and their seasons.

I sent her all my intel, game cam pictures, etc. Well a few months ago I saw this.

Because of my email they are presenting it at a meeting soon to have it added (along with a few other units).

It also sounds like it’s being fully supported.

I’m so friggen excited.... after talking to the lady again handling this she told me that this is just the way it was and no one questioned it since 1986.

Moral of this small story.... sometimes it’s better to ask about these kind of things verse just assuming it’s something they are looking into or “someone else may do it”.

If that pass this, even if I don’t draw a fall season NM tag, I’ll drive out there next year just to hunt them.
    It would have such a special meaning to me because I can say I actually had a part in something.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast