Kansas Deer 2018

They should eliminate the "adjacent unit" altogether. That's a really dumb system.
Its' almost funny to think that someone's 4th choice on an adjacent unit has preference on a persons first choice in that unit.

I've thought about this quite a bit. What factors could have caused Kansas to do this?

The only thing I could come up with is landowners who have property to 2 units pushed for this so they, their family/friends, or their guided hunters could hunt both units.

I don't believe NR hunters would have enough pull in the state to make such a rule as believe it or not it was only 1994 when they allowed non residents to even hunt deer in the state. Almost had to be farmer/outfitter driven rule to allow them more flexibility.

You are correct that this should be eliminated. That and go by first choice for everyone in the 0 preference point pool. Then move to second/third choices, and so on like other Western states do.

But at least we now know how the draw is done, but still really have no idea of the odds of drawing any particular unit.

IIRC, KS is not alone in doing the draws this way. New Mexico's rules:
How New Mexico’s Draw Works

Updated 12-08-2016

New Mexico’s big game drawing is subject to a quota system. In accordance with state law, the draw attempts to distribute a minimum of 84 percent of the licenses for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10 percent to residents or nonresidents who’ve contracted with an outfitter and 6 percent to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter (this does not prohibit nonresidents in the 6 percent pool from contracting with an outfitter if they are lucky in the draw).

All drawing applications are randomly assigned a sequence number. A computer program then examines each application in the sequence in its entirety, prior to moving on to the next application. When an application is examined, the computer attempts to fulfill the first hunt choice, subject to the quotas described above. If the first hunt choice is already filled, the computer will try to assign the second choice to that application, then the third choice.

If the quota for all applicant drawing pools has been filled for all three choices, the system will not issue a license(s) and will move on to the next application. Residents who apply with one or more nonresidents will be issued a license only if there are licenses available for both the resident and nonresident pools.

After all deer and elk applications have been examined, a second drawing distributes any remaining deer and elk licenses to those who designate a fourth choice on their application. Only those willing to accept ANY deer or elk license should indicate a fourth choice. An elk hunter drawing a fourth choice could receive a license for an antlerless bag limit, even if their first three choices were for bull licenses. The fourth-choice assignment will always be for the same sporting arm type as the first choice on the application.

Because the order of an application in the sequence is the determining factor in drawing success, it is possible for an applicant to receive a license for his or her second or third choice before a first choice applicant for the same hunt is even considered. The earlier in the drawing sequence an application is, the better the chances that a first, second or third choice hunt will still be available.

IIRC, KS is not alone in doing the draws this way. New Mexico's rules:

Kansas is alone, I promise you. There are some similarities with NM, and thanks for pointing that out, but there are some scenarios that are only possible in Kansas which are absolutely amazing. In fact what the KDWP fella Mike explained is truly amazing when you think about it.

My first choice app for unit 2 in the 2018 Kansas draw was unsuccessful, but I could have purchased a tag for unit 2 in the leftover draw by picking 17 as first choice with unit 2 as secondary hunt unit. Is there anywhere else in the country where you can be unsuccessful for a unit in the draw as your first choice but you can purchase a tag for the same unit as a leftover?

New Mexico also stops at 3rd choice so someones 4th choice can't take preference over another first choice. I am not aware of any state who does that besides Kansas.

In the end the draw method is kinda screwy but at least now it will be explained up front for those who are applying but it still leaves a lot to be desired for hunters as you really have no idea what the odds of drawing a tag are. The second unit portion of the Kansas deer app is the most bizarre thing about their deer tags.

Looks like I'll be headed to Kansas to try out there public land deer hunting this season. Muzzleloader tag accepted. Should be fun hearing all the guys at the range tell me I can't use a scope on my gun while I'm getting it all sighted back in... Good times lie ahead maybe I'll keep this thread updated with some scouting

Good luck on your hunt. Love hunting KS. Hunted it in 2016 and will be back there this year as well. Keep us posted!

I'm a Kansas resident and I forgot to apply. I still plan to hunt Co and NE this year. I have only lived here for 4 years, and just turkey hunted. I wanted to go check out unit 18 (Cimarron national grasslands). Anyone hunted out there or know if I can draw a rifle tag on my first attempt?

Thanks,
Josh

Joshs74--Kansas residents are OTC for whitetails. First tag you purchase (KDWPT offices or other outlets) would be for a "Any whitetail" permit. Most people call this their buck tag. Depending on the zone you hunt, you can also take multiple whitetail antlerless deer as well. The unit you mentioned does not have allow "extra" antlerless whitetail tags.

Mule deer is draw only, which occurs in the springtime.

Check out these maps. A little work here can answer lots of questions.

https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Big-Game-Information/Deer

Kansasdad,

Thanks for the reply. I should have specified that I wanted to go after a Mule deer tag. A regular season whitetail tag would be a good way to check out unit 18. I have a few other trips planned so we will see how much time I have left! Or I should say, we will see how tolerant my “boss” is.

Thanks again,
Josh

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back