Deer Hunting Dilemma

marshman

I have an issue that is most likely a good one to have...I possess a 2018 Idaho general deer tag, and also got drawn for a Mule deer permit in West central Montana. The issue I got is; I drew my first Mule deer permit in Montana last year and harvested a decent 3X2 buck in the opening week. Right away last season I decided to try and return to this same unit to hunt during the rut this year and try for a bigger buck. Well I did get drawn again, and would really like to make that Montana Mulie happen...but from all the research I have been doing it seems by far the best time to pursue Northern Idaho whitetails is during the rut, the timing coincides exactly. It seems I cannot be in two different states at the same time!
What would you do?

Considering you live in WA state I would hit the special permit in MT and on the way back through detour to ID and shot a whitetail also make a two week trip of it. Of coarse I guess that is also considering what type of permit you drew and trophy potential in MT.

Hunt muleys in Idaho. Problem solved. Way cooler deer IMHO. The beginning or end of the ID general seasons can be good.

If you've never hunted Idaho before, I would do that and try to experience something new and different while your able to. If you have, go with the harder tag. Thats what I would do.

I do have time for two hunting trips this fall, as does my son. Just not sure if either of us can be gone a full two weeks at once:(
The females in our lives are not real keen on that. I am off to ID this weekend for the first scouting trip of the summer.
W'ell see how this plan develops, I do like the thought of a combined trip...

Ok, here is how the plan has developed; Scouted Northern ID and found an area we are going to try, both Mulies and Whitetails are in the area and we will hunt it November 2nd through the 9th, a little early for the full rut but hope to see some pre rut activity, with maybe a little of weather help. Then home for 4 days to process game (hopefully), and then back east again to Montana for a Muley hunt from November 14th -22nd.
Looks like I am only working 4 days in November this year:)

Ok, here is how the plan has developed; Scouted Northern ID and found an area we are going to try, both Mulies and Whitetails are in the area and we will hunt it November 2nd through the 9th, a little early for the full rut but hope to see some pre rut activity, with maybe a little of weather help. Then home for 4 days to process game (hopefully), and then back east again to Montana for a Muley hunt from November 14th -22nd.
Looks like I am only working 4 days in November this year:)

That's 4 more days than I am in November or any other month, LOL!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back