Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Archery First week October

EZBreazy

Looking for some advice from those of you that have tried hunting archery early October in Montana. In Oregon we shut the archery down before the last week in September normally so I haven't hunted that late. I have the combo for deer/elk in Montana and was considering heading that direction the first week of October and just archery hunt it. With my schedule this year my other option is rifle but not until later in November. My first love is archery hunting but don't want to spend a week in frustration as time off is somewhat limited! Anyway would love to hear opinions of those wiser to the later portion of the rut and Montana. Thanks.

Chances are they’ll still be rutting, although it’ll be tough to pull a bull off his harem. I shot my bull last year the first week of rifle season and he was still chasing cows and bugling. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to hunt that first week of October

As long as you have the proper gear, I wouldn't hesitate either. It can get absolutely nasty in the high country in MT in late September and early October. Just be prepared for awful conditions and go have fun! Successful or not a week in the mountains chasing elk with a bow is as good as it gets.

In SW MT last fall during the rut it dropped 12" of snow. Year before it was 80 degrees.

I've seen decent rutting activity almost to rifle season.

My experience...Less hunters and the rut can be just as hot depending on where you are.

Thanks everyone. That is awesome info. Really want to get up there this year and that might be my week. Last year I had the elk combo for Montana but work and family pushed it to the back burner and I didn't hunt Montana but have always wanted to. I am already committed in September to hunt with family in Oregon. I think I will go the first week of October then as I love the chase of archery hunting. Must be prepared for it to snow, don't deal with that in Oregon much in September! Thanks again. Good guys here.

Last year we had snow the second week of September, and it stuck around until...well, it's still there in most of the high country around here. At this point of planning for you, I'd just anticipate having snow for your hunt. But don't let it hamper you, it makes it easier to see them.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back