Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

National Parks for fishing?

Ben Long

Do any of you anglers have favorite national parks for fishing? It's kinda funny how national parks don't allow hunting but are OK with fishing. Paradox, I guess. I've fished Yellowstone and Glacier. But I'm curious about others. (And yes, I may write about it, but I won't share any "secret spots." cool:

I have fished a decent amount in both parks. If you can get away from the crowds it can be dynamite!...but I would rather stick with my tried and true holes. I do feel like the people that go to a National Park just to fish tend to miss out on a lot of what the surrounding area has to offer (at least in MT). That being said, it is fine by me!:D

In the west I have fished yellowstone, rocky mt, glacier and teton. Yellowstone is by far my favorite but its is not very forgiving to kids or novices. Glacier is not as accessible as t the others. I'd rank teton and rocky mt close and both seem to be a nice place for kids.

In the east I have done acadia, shenandoah, and smokey mt. I guess im a homer but shenandoah is my favorite but onky for brookies. Smokey is the place to get bigger fish if thats your thing. Acadia has never treated me that well and its too close to better fishing.

My only complaint is that yellowstone used to have areas that a kid could catch a brookie with worms for dinner. Now thats not an option and makes it tough for younger kids. But it's that dedication to preserving the resource that has kept that fishery in tact.

For catching native/wild fish I'd rank yellowstone and shenandoah as tops in the country but I havent done much along the pacific coast to be conclusive.

No live bait. I dont like that law. I stay clear of them. I am a fly fisherman but when it comes to tight mountain fishing I'm a bait fisherman.

I fish YNP every year and GNP about every other year. I'll be going through Teton this summer, maybe hit some water in UT too.

I haven't personally fished it, but Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota is a favorite around here.

I have read conflicting sources about native brook trout in streams at Cumberland Gap National Park, but haven't made time to get down there. Isle Royale was great when I visited years ago.

The Green River through Mammoth Cave National Park is a great stream, but the stretch is undergoing bank changes as a result of the removal of a downstream dam. Should be nice when it re-stabilizes.

Hard to beat Yellowstone for river fishing.

Kings Canyon / Sequoia National Park is pretty darn good. For alpine trout trout fishing, it beats the pants off RMNP.

uc

Any of the creeks in Great Basin National Park. They have Brook trout up high, Rainbows and Browns down lower. The best fishing is outside of the area containing all the campgrounds. Snake Creek and Strawberry Creek are the best ones I have fished. Even Baker Creek which gets a lot of pressure because the campgrounds are nearby is pretty good if you get away from them.

I've fished Yellowstone and the Smoky Mountains. I fish the Smokys a few times a year. It is my favorite, and TBH would be very hard to beat for me personally. I love chasing the brookies off the beaten path.

I've really enjoyed fishing the feeder creeks the dump into Ross Lake in the North Cascade NP, same with the Stehekin River further south that spills into Lake Chelan. The Olympic park is also fun to fish both trout and steelhead.

I like Bowman and Kintla Lakes. I caught several nice lake trout and cutthroat trolling with heavy spoons. Both sites are difficult logistical to access due to launch requirements, and roads, but are worth the effort. When we go up it’s all day family affair, and usually don’t arrive home until 10-11 at night.

Back