Caribou Gear Tarp

New member from WI searching for knowledge

WinkB

-First time poster, long time lurker.

Good morning,
I came across this site via the videos posted regarding hunting on public lands, and I have been following along and reading through the threads for sometime.

Last year was the first year that my daughter has been able to hunt and we have been taking every opportunity that we can to enjoy what hunting the outdoors and conservation has to offer. We have been doing 3D archery shoots and have participated in all the traditional Wisconsin hunting seasons.

Last year she was able to harvest her first doe with a crossbow, a buck during rifle season (with rounds she loaded herself). Earlier this year for spring break we went to Texas so that she could do a hog hunt and we brought home a cooler full of meat. A couple weeks ago she harvested her first turkey (25lb, 10" beard and 1.5" spurs). I would like to expand our experiences and exposure to different species.

Now she wants to do an antelope hunt, and this is why I am here. I don't know the first thing about antelope hunting and I am hoping to find some knowledgeable folks who are will to help provide me with an education. If at all possible I would like to do hunt this fall in WY. It does not matter to me if it is a doe or buck hunt. I would like to keep the cost down in an attempt to keep the wife happy. The exact location does not matter.

I think I have everything I need to pull this off. We can camp anywhere, I have the gear, and we can practice all summer. What I don't have is the foundation knowledge yet. I have watched tons of videos and read up on everything. I find that I learn better though experience however. We spend plenty of time camping in the mountains all over the West so the terrain and weather are something that I am ready for.

One additional item that I am missing are buddies that would want to go along. Most of my buddies are the traditional WI deer hunters. A box of ammo will last them for several seasons and they don't have the desire to travel far or work too hard for the hunt.

If I am going to go hunting out of state I would like to find someone else to go along. It is always nice to have another person along in the back county. As many of you know a lot can and does go not as planned and if it is just me and my daughter, it would be nice to have some assistance.

If there are any folks on here that would be willing to chat and help educate me I am all ears.
Thank you,

Welcome to the forum. If you're happy with a doe or a non-trophy buck, there's no need to go far from the road into the backcountry. You could easily hunt from a hotel (camping is more fun of course).

Last edited:
Welcome!! Search in the Pronghorn section and you will find a lot of "first timer" info. Best of luck!!

Welcome from Iowa. Look at the Wyoming website at draw odds. Doe tags can be fairly easy to get. I believe May 31 is the deadline for the draw.

Not a difficult hunt logistically and really no need to camp 'way back' unless you want to of course. Last few trips out i have camped at a KOA as the wife is fond of the creature comforts. There are lots of options for doe and average bucks. I believe you have to have draw applications in by the 31st of this month. There should be a number of units you can draw with no points. If you are willing to part with some extra cash, the special draw may open up a few more units. There used to be a fair number of leftover license available but there have been less available the last couple years.

Totally doable for you and your daughter. Check out the Hunt Planner on the Wyoming Game & Fish website to get an idea of where you can likely draw some tags. Doe antelope tags are cheap for nonresidents and you could get two each potentially. WY has some great walk-in areas where the hunting public can access private land. These can come in handy in units where public land is more scarce. It’ll be a great trip. I plan on doing the same with my nine-year-old this fall.

Welcome.

Thank you for developing another female hunter into the fray. Future of the sport in my opinion.

Welcome! Hunt and fish your state from time to time. It is great that you have got your daughter into hunting! My daughter is going with me on her first Western hunting adventure this fall (if we draw) and I can't explain how proud I am of her.

Thank you for the nice welcome. I will be getting back to those of you who sent me messages. Here are some of the success we have had this year. We are looking forward to continuing our adventures.

Thank you,
Isabella_Wink_first_deer_02.jpg

20171118_083722.jpg

20180505_100703.jpg

Those are some beautiful animals! Welcome to the site. There's a ton of information on here and many people willing to give advice. Unfortunately I know basically nothing about antelope beside what I've learned on here. On Wisconsin!!!

Welcome! What a great way to spend some quality time with your daughter. I also don't know anything about hunting 'lopes but I wish you both the best of luck in your journey!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back