Idaho Archery hunt 29 vs 30 vs 48

Badger_55

I am hoping to chase elk in Idaho this year and have had my mind set on 30 for awhile now but I initially really liked 48 as well. I am second guessing some things about 30 though. I have recently read a lot about being a narrow unit and most of the elk tend to stay over on the montana side until later in the season. I plan on hunting with my horses, so not to worried about getting away from others. I was looking at Idaho game and fish harvest numbers and 29 caught my eye there too. I thought I could shoot for 30 and if I wasn't finding animals then I could shoot across to 29 but now realize they are different zones so that wouldn't work. I am just wondering what anyone on here has had for experiences and any of these units. Good and bad reviews are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't know about the issue of elk not being in 30 during the season. I think 29, 36a, 37, 37a, 48, and 50 would all give you good hunts. Those elk all summer in the zone. Plenty of trophy quality in those because they're draw for rifle and elk numbers are good. Archery stats often suck so it seems hard to go by those. I'd pick one of those listed and go for it.

I hunt unit 29 a lot for elk, as I have a hunting/fishing cabin in 29, and has quite a few elk. Unit 28 has been hit by wolves hard, 29 not as much. Access is decent and most drainages hold elk, elevation dependent on snow conditions. Not too familiar with 30 or 48. Having horses would be a good plus, as a lot of area is steep and rugged and being able to get away from the roads.

30 and 30a were on top of my list until I decided I did not want to be in griz country with bait(pack goats) following me around and sleeping next to my tent.... the goats can run faster than I can LOL....
Matt

I'm thinking about 48 but it just looks so steep. There are also a lot of motorcycle trails that seem hard to avoid. West of Sun Valley all the way to 43 looks good but the ORV access and limited trail heads knocks it down a few spots. Might have go see for myself one weekend.

And 48 has tripled the number of hunters in the last 5 yrs. Never saw so many archery hunters as I did last year. And hiking in helps, but most have figured out that's what it takes to get into elk, so they are everywhere.

And 48 has tripled the number of hunters in the last 5 yrs. Never saw so many archery hunters as I did last year. And hiking in helps, but most have figured out that's what it takes to get into elk, so they are everywhere.

Agreed. The elk will be where you find them in that unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back