PEAX Equipment

Idaho OTC tags sell out?

Badger_55

I read an article by Jordan Breshear saying that Idaho sold out of their OTC elk and deer last year. I was wondering if June 22nd is long to wait to risk not getting a tag? I am waiting on the Wyoming deer draw results (June 21st) as if we dont draw there then we planned on going to chase Elk over in Idaho. Does anyone think that it would be too late to wait? I didnt know that Idaho capped their nonresident OTC tags.

I had the same thoughts, I went ahead and bought my Idaho tag and then wound up getting drawn in Montana, now I get to go on two trips!

haha nice! This would be my first trip of 2 already. I head to Montana for rifle this year. A 3rd trip would give me all sorts of problems here on the home front with the better half.

I have friends that drive out every September for Archery season elk and deer as NR. They do not buy their tags until they arrive here with no issues. Some areas are limited caps on non-resident and resident, you would want to get capped units right away, they seem to go very fast depending on the area. The closer you get to rifle season the more tags begin to sell faster. October time frame is when they really start to go. Wait for draw results, and then get your general tag if needed.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/quotas-nonresident

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/nonresident-elk-tags-sold-out-2017-deer-selling-fast

Some zones are sold out already and all general area leftover tags should be available for all residents and non residents after August 1st, I believe.

Thanks yeah I peeked on there today and seen there was 6000+ OTC tags still available. I know the Sawtooth sells quickly but I just have other irons in the fire that wont allow me to go for those. I am trying to decide between 29, 30 or 48.

Idaho has a quota on non-resident deer and elk tags. Some of the elk zones have their own quota, within the overall quota, and in many of those zones, the tags sell out quickly. If there are still non-resident tags available on August 1, a resident can buy a non-resident tag, at the non-resident fee, to be used as a second tag and a non-resident who already has a tag can buy a second tag. Some zones have an A tag (usually more archery or muzzleloader opportunities) and a B tag (usually more rifle opportunity). Many residents take advantage of buying the non-resident tag after August first so they can hunt elk in both the A and B seasons and others buy the tag to hunt in a different zone than their first tag.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back