Thoughts on this Montefeltro stock?

NDGuy

Found this new Monte in 20ga at my local shop. Think I've decided on getting one and this one really caught my eye. Just at first glance this stock jumped out to me and seemed to have character, some of the others were a lot more plain. Is there a certain look or pattern that people and collectors covet more? Would you say this stock is a cut above a normal stock Benelli wood stock?

Shotgun.jpgshotgun 2.jpgshotgun 3.jpgshotgun 4.jpg

Last edited:
'Twer I in your shoes, I'd worry less about what type of wood others like and more on what I like. That said, I like that stock!

Once I get the boys outfitted more completely, I'm thinking my next big purchase for myself will be a nice shotgun. Wood like that wouldn't hurt!

'Twer I in your shoes, I'd worry less about what type of wood others like and more on what I like. That said, I like that stock!

Once I get the boys outfitted more completely, I'm thinking my next big purchase for myself will be a nice shotgun. Wood like that wouldn't hurt!

I probably should have clarified better, I was just wondering if this stock looks "nicer" than a usual Benelli wood stock. Or if there are certain looks on wood grain that are more highly sought after. Like on this one the wood rings run uniform from the grip to the end of the stock.

Is that a special edition or just a regular montefeltro? That wood on that gun is very nice compared to what I’ve seen on other montefeltros. It’s alot prettier than mine.

Is that a special edition or just a regular montefeltro? That wood on that gun is very nice compared to what I’ve seen on other montefeltros. It’s alot prettier than mine.

Regular ole Monte 20ga that's why I was kind of taken aback when I first saw it.

Nice wood. As for collectors, not much collecting going on with Monte's.

I didn't literally mean I am buying it as a collector. I moreso meant what does "good" wood look like? Which like I said this one jumped out to me immediately vs the others I had seen. I wonder if dealer's can buy higher or lower graded stocked shotguns? This one vs the Scheels I have in town is not even comparable. The ones Scheels has in stock are very plain and a lot lighter almost orange tinge colored wood.

That's some of the best wood I've seen on a Montefeltro.

Most aficionados want small pores, good figure, hopefully with some burl or fiddleback and no knots. The more figure and contrast the better. Straight grain on the grip and wrist is preferred for strength.

Back