Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Yippee I'm going Wyoming

Huntkook

Well I shouldn't be so excited I already know we'll get drawn unless I totally messed up the application process. Both units had leftover tags last year. We have been experimenting with different units by buying doe tags. That's the best way to learn an unit without the cost. To many get caught up in the I have to shoot a buck. Like one of the wise senior member started how many 12in horns do you need? Anybody already know that they're going based on previous years draws.

I'm going because I have an elk tag. Fingers crossed on the pronghorn tag, roughly 50% odds in the random draw last year.

Me too. Got the cow elk tag, now to draw the deer tag for the same area. We should unless there is major creep. Dad and I have 4 points and it took 2 last year. There are more tags available this year as well.

I did something similar in WY. Went with Unit 1, which has a 100% draw rate for everything... and lots of left overs.

I assume due to the entire area being private land. (I lucked out and found a rancher with a tresspass fee that covers lodging.)

But I bought a buck tag and a doe tag. I ain't returning the 26 hour drive back to NC without meat.

I put in for antelope and deer doe tags for the same areas. Neither are for sure but I've got my fingers crossed.

There should be more active NR deer and pronghorn applicants this year so fewer leftover tags and accelerated point creep on 1st Choices. Odds will be hurt for the next few years as some NR burn points and bail rather than "invest" another year with Point Only strategy. Not a lot of NR want to pull 3 WY tags in one application cycle.

F&G's maximizing return on big game application fees and tag sales has the consequence of thinning the herd of applicants but will take more than one application cycle to see the erosion. NR elk applications were up after a stiff increase in tag price. Of course, no one wants to toss a decade of point "investment" in the trash. The resulting pool of NR applicants will be less economically diverse and younger. The wealth distribution of the NR applicants becomes more skewed towards the top 10% of households. NR bull bison tag jumped by $1900. Resident bull bison tag jumped, too, by $12. I see a trend. Usually there is the offer of a drink in this sort of situation.

Does anyone feel confident WY is not a year or two from doubling NR elk/deer/pronghorn points? From flipping the NR 40% Special tag bucket to be 60% of NR tags? From cutting NR sheep and moose allocation in half?

CO just made it more affordable to apply for sheep. The tsunami of new applicants is a good thing in my opinion as expands the tent to include more applicants that now have more skin in the game to vote on issues such as hunting and public lands. CO NR sheep odds are a couple of years from eroding from 1 in 250 to 1 in 600. Long-term NR applicants for sheep/moose/goat will see "investment" in points devalued to less than half. The issue is when NR applicants think they have an understanding with F&G that the rules will stay in place as $100s if not $1000+ of points are built.

CO also has erosion where the 10 point and above holders for NR elk and deer are less likely to get back in line to "invest" in more points once a tag is drawn. How many of us think we are not about 5 years from seeing $150 sheep/goat/moose NR points in CO? Why else would CO be so keen to lower the financial hurdle of fronting the full tag cost to apply for the Big 3?

Point systems are broken and maximizing NR revenue by F&G merely accelerates the process. NR applicants and hunters will be more likely to be Richie Rich. Teddy Roosevelt was wealthy though I do not think he is smiling.

There should be more active NR deer and pronghorn applicants this year so fewer leftover tags and accelerated point creep on 1st Choices. Odds will be hurt for the next few years as some NR burn points and bail rather than "invest" another year with Point Only strategy. Not a lot of NR want to pull 3 WY tags in one application cycle.

F&G's maximizing return on big game application fees and tag sales has the consequence of thinning the herd of applicants but will take more than one application cycle to see the erosion. NR elk applications were up after a stiff increase in tag price. Of course, no one wants to toss a decade of point "investment" in the trash. The resulting pool of NR applicants will be less economically diverse and younger. The wealth distribution of the NR applicants becomes more skewed towards the top 10% of households. NR bull bison tag jumped by $1900. Resident bull bison tag jumped, too, by $12. I see a trend. Usually there is the offer of a drink in this sort of situation.

Does anyone feel confident WY is not a year or two from doubling NR elk/deer/pronghorn points? From flipping the NR 40% Special tag bucket to be 60% of NR tags? From cutting NR sheep and moose allocation in half?

CO just made it more affordable to apply for sheep. The tsunami of new applicants is a good thing in my opinion as expands the tent to include more applicants that now have more skin in the game to vote on issues such as hunting and public lands. CO NR sheep odds are a couple of years from eroding from 1 in 250 to 1 in 600. Long-term NR applicants for sheep/moose/goat will see "investment" in points devalued to less than half. The issue is when NR applicants think they have an understanding with F&G that the rules will stay in place as $100s if not $1000+ of points are built.

CO also has erosion where the 10 point and above holders for NR elk and deer are less likely to get back in line to "invest" in more points once a tag is drawn. How many of us think we are not about 5 years from seeing $150 sheep/goat/moose NR points in CO? Why else would CO be so keen to lower the financial hurdle of fronting the full tag cost to apply for the Big 3?

Point systems are broken and maximizing NR revenue by F&G merely accelerates the process. NR applicants and hunters will be more likely to be Richie Rich. Teddy Roosevelt was wealthy though I do not think he is smiling.

You're probably right, but it is a bit depressing for those who are just joining the western hunting game - especially those of us a little further along in years. I put in for some mediocre access but decent draw odds units for this year. Will be bummed if our first western trip doesn't happen in the fall. The public lands hunting really appeals to me, but as I have researched over the year, I find myself wondering if private land hunting (or even African plains game) would be the better way to go -- I am not going to miss 5 years of hunting opportunities guessing and strategizing point creep - I am sure some find that part of the game entertaining, but I do not. I don't care about bucks or racks, but I do want decent land access and a little privacy when hunting. Sometimes I wonder if that is a fair expectation at this point.

You're probably right, but it is a bit depressing for those who are just joining the western hunting game - especially those of us a little further along in years. I put in for some mediocre access but decent draw odds units for this year. Will be bummed if our first western trip doesn't happen in the fall. The public lands hunting really appeals to me, but as I have researched over the year, I find myself wondering if private land hunting (or even African plains game) would be the better way to go -- I am not going to miss 5 years of hunting opportunities guessing and strategizing point creep - I am sure some find that part of the game entertaining, but I do not. I don't care about bucks or racks, but I do want decent land access and a little privacy when hunting. Sometimes I wonder if that is a fair expectation at this point.

That's easy to find, even on leftover and OTC opportunities. I encourage you to make a trip happen, regardless of whether you draw your pronghorn tags.

I am open to other suggestions . . .

Last year there were a few leftover pronghorn doe tags in Wyoming. We had a fun hunt on one of them last year. I bet there will be some Type 4 elk tags leftover in some very good areas.

Arizona deer is a fun time. California blacktail for something a bit different.

South Dakota has a later application period. I've never tried an OTC elk hunt in Colorado, but would definitely do it if I weren't able to draw any tags.

Basically I was saying not to put it off, you won't regret going out and giving it a try.

Congratulations peoples!!

I'm hoping to go out there and not come back. Still trying to talk the Mrs into it.

I'm still trying to decide where to apply for WY antelope and deer. We only have 1 point. We are coming no matter what. If it has to be OTC pronghorn doe only we are still coming.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back