WY Archery Gen Elk preference

krojemann

Hi all, so we are still racking our brains and pouring over maps since drawing our WY gen elk tag. Still planning to head out mid -Sept for an archery hunt.

We have a few spots picked out in units 13 & 21. And a few spots picked out around units 67 & 68. Of course, one is north & one is south. So each has it's pros & cons. The northern units I understand may have fewer hunters, but grizz. The southern units may get crowded. The northern units may be more rugged. The southern units may be infested with beetle killed blow downs. We don't have horses & would be packing in.

Without having hunted the state before, we are pretty much relying on Google Earth & whatever info we can dig up online. So for those who have/do hunt the state, what is your preference or recommendation? Like anyone, we just want to be able to hike in, loose the crowds, and have opportunity at legal bulls.

On a side note, if you are familiar with the southern parts of 13 & 21 and/or 67 & 68, and willing to share your experience, I could PM the areas we are considering. Thanks in advance.

If you have several guys going, I don't think you can go wrong during the archery season for good bulls in the general units to the north that have big bears if you watch your Ps and Qs. I wouldn't go into them solo though. Don't forget you each need an archery permit and Conservation Stamp.

If you have several guys going, I don't think you can go wrong during the archery season for good bulls in the general units to the north that have big bears if you watch your Ps and Qs. I wouldn't go into them solo though.

What he said.....except I am going solo. I must be stupid. I will be in, or around the same northern units you are looking into. I have southern units I am researching too just in case I chicken out. Good luck!

One thing I noticed hunting both last year.

The NW seemed to have a lot more guided / horseback hunters. The trailheads were full of horse trailers and wall tents.

The Southern units had more weekend/local traffic.

I saw elk in both areas, ended up shooting one in a southern units.

These observations could be specific to the areas I hunted though.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Harge, out of curiosity, what made you leave the northern units and hunt South? Nice job on tagging an elk.

Mainly drive time. I was driving from TX. After 14 days in the NW with no kill. I drove back for another 7 days, and didn't want an extra 12 hours of drive time.

One thing I noticed hunting both last year.

The NW seemed to have a lot more guided / horseback hunters. The trailheads were full of horse trailers and wall tents.

The Southern units had more weekend/local traffic.

I saw elk in both areas, ended up shooting one in a southern units.

These observations could be specific to the areas I hunted though.

I don't think that's off base at all. Northern units have bigger bulls (most of the time), less roads, and thus horseman.

Southern units have more roads, access points, and are closer for most folks to hunt.

I'll likely be hunting in the Sierra Madres if I don't draw my LQ tag, so y'all should hunt by Dubois to keep the hunting pressure down for me, thanks. ;-)

Me too. The gf is not super happy but my buddy backed out and I am not gonna cancel after waiting 3 years. :D

My wife isn't fond of the idea either. Instead of the dog house we are going into, its the grizz house.

My wife isn't fond of the idea either. Instead of the dog house we are going into, its the grizz house.

You guys must not have been married long enough, I just don't plan to tell my wife, if we go up that way. Ha.

Lots of smaller bulls in 13 and 21 and lots of people. Archery shouldn’t be too bad but it will be a zoo closer to rifle as and deer season as people start setting up camp. Terrain is much easier in the south for the most part. Pressure can be used to your advantage

Lots of smaller bulls in 13 and 21 and lots of people. Archery shouldn’t be too bad but it will be a zoo closer to rifle as and deer season as people start setting up camp. Terrain is much easier in the south for the most part. Pressure can be used to your advantage

Thanks. As someone looking to tag their first bull, I'm not too concerned about size. Just looking to have some opportunities. Hoping to have more run-ins with elk then people, ha.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back