Idaho Mentored Hunt Questions

justdada

Can any of you from Idaho give me a hand understanding the mentored youth licenses?
My daughter completed Hunters Ed this year and I am looking for opportunities for her to deer hunt this year. I've looked through the ID regs, and can't figure out what seasons exactly she is eligible to hunt with the mentored license.
Do she and I both have to apply for the same general tags in the draw?
Or do I get a general tag and then she simply buys hers OTC?
I'm assuming these are not good for controlled hunts, so if I draw a controlled hunt tag, can I still be her mentor on a general tag in a different unit?

I may be making this harder than it really is... I just want to know how to get her into the field chasing a forkhorn…
Thanks for the help!

I hunted with a NR cousin with a mentored tag.

Your daughter can hunt any general unit. As a mentor, you must have a tag for the same species, but not necessarily the same unit. In my example, I drew a controlled hunt tag but my cousin hunted a general unit tag.

Last edited:
Page 111 of 2017 2018 Seasons & Rules:
Big Game 2017 & 2018 Seasons & Rules idfg.idaho.gov 111
Junior Licenses
Only properly licensed youth 10 or older may hunt big game/turkey, except a 9-year
old may buy a license to apply for a controlled hunt provided they are ten (10) years
of age when they participate in the hunt for which they are applying. They cannot
participate in the hunt until they are ten (10).
Resident
• All resident youth younger than 12, who possess a junior hunting license, must
be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or older and be close enough
to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of
electronic devices.
• All hunters possessing a Hunting Passport must be accompanied by a licensed
adult 18 years of age or older and be close enough to be within normal
conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices.
Nonresident
• Nonresident youth ages 10 to 17, who possess a nonresident junior mentored
hunting license, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or
older and be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range
without shouting or the aid of electronic devices. The licensed adult must have a
current year tag which is valid for the same species, and may hunt while
participating in the mentored hunting program. The licensed
adult may not accompany more than two youth at a time.
A tag that has already been filled still meets the tag
possession requirement.
• Nonresident youth ages 12 to 17, who possess
a full price hunting license are not required to
follow the “accompanied by” rule in the field.

She's passed hunters safety. She needs youth hunts, not mentored hunts. If you're after deer, a general tag for you and a youth yag for her. In a lot of units she is ether sex, you are buck only.

The only purpose of the mentored tag is to hunt a year without doing hunters ed. If she's done hunters ed, just buy her a general deer tag. That is good for any general seasons listed in the book. There are many youth anterless opportunities. You can switch back and forth between units all you want. The only other tags out there are a controlled tag which is good for specific unit usually and a whitetail tag which is good for whitetail only with the benefit being better season dates.

The reason to do Junior Mentored is there’s a license fee discount that doesn’t apply to normal NR youth.

You should be able to buy her three years junior license right before she turns 18 and purchase discounted junior tags until that license is valid

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back