Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Some rain in central New Mexico!!!

archer wapiti

Obviously the rains here are really local, so don't get your hopes too high about antler growth in some far-flung corner of the state. Nonetheless, we received the first rain in months (it seems) this afternoon. This was the view from the dock of my building at work. It's nice to breathe some humid air.

Attachments

• RAIN.jpg
    RAIN.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 209
Have thunderstorm warning in SE NM. Precipitation is last 11 months is 0.3 inches. That is dry!!

Hoping!!

Wow, that's dry. I was looking for when the last time ABQ got rain and I didn't find that information, but a story from back in January that the trace of rain they got then was the first in over 3 months. Just when they announced last fall that no part of the state was in drought conditions...

Hopefully some of this will go your way!

I'm hoping it filled some desert trick tanks and earthen tanks. I have a gmu 29 deer tag and a some precip would do wonders for the vegetation and water sources.

Not sure how far south they made it. Where I'm at in Roosevelt county we've had 2 storms the last 4 nights. Both rolled in from the north and kept on going. Some good standing water and quail everywhere this morning

Got about an inch at my house in NE ABQ, but the airport only got 0.12". I think the official tally from the first of the year is about 0.3", before this storm, which is about 2" below normal. I was returning from a fishing trip driving down Tramway when the skies opened up, filled my boat with hail and water. Ran the bilge pump for 10 minutes just to drain the boat, then had to wait for the hail to melt and do it again. Good to get some rain, but we need a LOT more.

Wow jr, that's a full boat! There was about an inch and a half in my wheelbarrow over in Edgewood when I got home. Of course, the sides aren't straight on a wheelbarrow, so actual rain was less than that, but it's a start. Thunderheads flashing over the Sangres tonight.

Nada in SW.
Bone dry.
Smokey this evening from control burn around Indian Peaks.

Hank, how are your water tanks holding up? Are they running dry too? My guide in Chama said it snowed about 3 weeks ago, but it didn't last.

If there is not a windmill well pumping/solar or stock around there is no water in most tanks here. Most ranchers are buying feed. Some water in the streams that do flow,but very little compared to normal this time of year.
I know of 2 local springs that are dry. Elk & antelope hammering my tank every day & night.
The good news is it is not our rainy season yet. Any day now the monsoons will start then it's a whole new ball game. I smelled it & saw it,but have not felt much. I got about .08" last month,.04" so far this May.

Edit...the fire is near Eagle Pk & was 800ac@ 7am. Clear skies this morning but it just exploded this afternoon & now the smoke is just pouring north.I cannot even see across the valley now. It will effect anyone going to check 15,16d & 16c for sure.

Last edited:
Edit...the fire is near Eagle Pk & was 800ac@ 7am. Clear skies this morning but it just exploded this afternoon & now the smoke is just pouring north.I cannot even see across the valley now. It will effect anyone going to check 15,16d & 16c for sure.

Ugh. That smoke made it to the East Mountains this evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back