MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bow hunting Whitetail in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Any advice?

dannyb278

Alright so plans have been nailed down for this year's upcoming out of Minnesota hunt. The Black Hills of South Dakota. I'm very familiar with the geography having lived in Spearfish for a year but I've never hunted the area. Any advice on bow hunting whitetails would be appreciated thanks.

Gonna sound funny, but scouting from the truck seems to be the way to go. The Hills are absolutely loaded with whitetails, so it is just a matter finding the right spot to ambush them.

Cell service is spotty, and I recommend downloading the Avenza Maps app and corresponding MVUMs. You may already know that there are designated "Dispersed Camping" areas- must be on certain stretches of road, within 100 yards of the road.

OnxMaps now has tools for you.

They were talking about needing a free access pass this year, not sure if they went through with it or not.

Lots of deer. Lots of roads. Tons of UTV trails.

Be prepared for really bad weather. The first week in October can be life threatening.

Lots of deer. Yes

Lots of roads. Yes

Tons of UTV trails. Yes

The first week in October can be life threatening. Exaggerated:D

I guess. I spent 25 years living the Hills.

How many people died in Atlas again? ;) Not exactly an annual event either way and I will stick with "exaggerated" when referring to "life threatening".

I lived just South of the Black Hills for 6 years including Atlas and it's not "life threatening" IMO. In fact the last 3 years I have hunted deer in my t-shirt in November. Doesn't get to bad around there until January. Atlas was a 50 year type storm not seen in those areas since 49. I would not recommend planning for 50 year storms on your hunts.

I always look for public access that backs up to AG land, hay meadows, etc.. Deer move back and fourth so you find a few spots that work with the wind. Get our early, and stay as long as legal shooting allows at the end of the day.

Meh, I was in the storm. Saw the dead cattle. Saw the pile of dead horses where we stabled ours once we realized the hunt was a bust. People die of exposure in South Dakota every year, and to tell people not to worry and prepare for t-shirt weather is beyond ridiculous.

No idea where this young man is from, but he should be prepared for bad weather. No different than any hunt in the West.

Meh, I was in the storm. Saw the dead cattle. Saw the pile of dead horses where we stabled ours once we realized the hunt was a bust. People die of exposure in South Dakota every year, and to tell people not to worry and prepare for t-shirt weather is beyond ridiculous.

No idea where this young man is from, but he should be prepared for bad weather. No different than any hunt in the West.

Feel free to point out where I said not to worry and prepare for t-shirt weather.

I gave my experience form hunting in the area in past seasons.

Where are you from?

I guess. I spent 25 years living the Hills.

How many people died in Atlas again? ;) Not exactly an annual event either way and I will stick with "exaggerated" when referring to "life threatening".

Just watch the forecast and prepare. Life-threatening would be a little exaggerated in my opinion also.

A great discussion on the unpredictability of the weather in the Hills. As someone who lived in Spearfish from Fall 2012- Fall 2013, I can attest to the hail storms, late spring snow dumps, etc.

Now, when bow hunting whitetail, would you do spot and stalk, or treestand? I'm thinking a combination of both. Early morning/evening tree stand sits, followed by mid-day stalks.

Make sure you apply for the access permit for the hills as a non resident. Game and fish and starting to teach the hills like they did other areas to limit the archery tags used there.
Spot and stalk is the way to go in October.

Hunted the last 5 years Nov in SD wishing for snow. Yes it can and will snow in Nov but I don't think Terry Peak has even been open the past few Thanksgivings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back