Don't wait

Huntkook

A few years ago a friend and I was talking about hunting. Now he has hunted alot of places and asked me why I hadn't. My reply was I'm waiting for the right time he then sent me this video of someone he knew. Watch “Rick Berens What are you waiting for - Cabela” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/51632930?ref=em-share

3 short years ago I asked my 90 year old grandfather what his best life advice was. The first words out of his mouth without hesitation was "Enjoy your life, your family and friends... it goes fast" strong words from a 90 year old man that was on his death bed.

Changed my life forever.

That would be why we bought a motorhome 2 years ago to travel in with our kids. I kept saying I wanted to take the family out West since I had never been out there except when hunting in the Fall. We tripped to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore last year and it was a great vacation (minus the learning curve with Class A Diesel pushers when things don't operate as they should). It is also why I would like to retire as young as possible to go travel around the country more. I put in for a ML elk tag in CO this year without finding anyone around home to go with me. Some say I am crazy but I cannot keep waiting on others to go. I agree with enjoying your life while you have it.

3 short years ago I asked my 90 year old grandfather what his best life advice was. The first words out of his mouth without hesitation was "Enjoy your life, your family and friends... it goes fast" strong words from a 90 year old man that was on his death bed.

Changed my life forever.
I had a similar perspective change when talking with my dad before he passed. We talked about things we did vs things we had. I now concern myself more with experiences than with "things". Memories really do outlive us with the ones we share them with and those who helped us make them.

amen brother.

I'm thankful I learned the lesson when I was 33 and my kids were 2 and unborn......

The Word of God tells us so too:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

Changed my life forever.

Top notch post shared. Thanks.

Live to work, or work to live... Your choice. Life is short. I touched that point several years ago and since, work is but a simple tool to enhance life. Prior, work was my life. A wake up call I wish on no one. Just thankful I was given an opportunity to turn that around. Many pass early. Never know when you might go so embrace life, love, family and friends.

I had a similar perspective change when talking with my dad before he passed. We talked about things we did vs things we had. I now concern myself more with experiences than with "things". Memories really do outlive us with the ones we share them with and those who helped us make them.

+1

My wife and I are now at the point we can set aside 7 to 10 days to travel together for a memorable vacation. We each travel several weeks a year but is for business and without each other. She would go to a spa with friends and I would head out on the mountain as our busy and slack times do not match up in our careers. We continue to travel together for family events but those are rarely relaxing though can be memorable (looking at you Aunt "hold my wine glass" Meghan). Most of our 30+ years together until recently was spent in head's down mode grinding out our careers to get children raised, aging parents comforted and retirement savings built up. I thrive in the new work/play balance and now can't imagine not working as I like the social aspect and crafting deals.

amen brother.

I'm thankful I learned the lesson when I was 33 and my kids were 2 and unborn......

The Word of God tells us so too:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10
Interesting coincidence how close our ages and that of our kids were for that experience. Dad was only 58 when he passed and never got to meet son #2. He "knows" him though. Talks and asks about him often. It's a bit unnerving when he talks about dreams with Papaw Rickey in them...

Interesting coincidence how close our ages and that of our kids were for that experience. Dad was only 58 when he passed and never got to meet son #2. He "knows" him though. Talks and asks about him often. It's a bit unnerving when he talks about dreams with Papaw Rickey in them...

My youngest asks about great paw all the time... and the never met! I had to go to the funeral alone because my wife was due within the month.

Amazing how a child's mind works!

A whole lot of truth here. I spent a lot of years waiting to go after elk. Last year went out with a couple guys that I didn’t really know that well and still had a good time and a good hunt, for the most part. This year I’m heading to Wyoming for antelope. Told a couple people I’m going by myself and they act like that’s the craziest thing They've heard. Planning on heading out to Colorado or possibly Wyoming for mule deer next year and more than likely that I’ll be by myself. I guy just gets tired of waiting around for others.

This carpe diem sentiment is why I chose to move back home, pass up $ for all that MT has to offer. I may be mortgaging my future some, but I am enjoying incredible experiences in my prime years that other buddies around the country just dream about. 30+ days fishing last year, 50+ hunting...can't ever put a price on that.

This carpe diem sentiment is why I chose to move back home, pass up $ for all that MT has to offer. I may be mortgaging my future some, but I am enjoying incredible experiences in my prime years that other buddies around the country just dream about. 30+ days fishing last year, 50+ hunting...can't ever put a price on that.

^^^^This. Gave up the rat race myself and got home. Now, I've told the wife I'll sweep floors and clean toilets to pay the bills but we're not leaving Montana. Our vacations are camping/hunting/fishing/outdoors whatever. Just don't want that nonsense anymore. I could be earning $50k more /year somewhere else but, we're happier now.

Guys, I realize this is an old post but this has really hit home with me today. I am going through some work uncertainties and am a bit stressed about it. When I start looking at other avenues, it seems like it's tough to find a good job but one that still allows family time. Most of my friends who are successful finnancialy miss so many opportunities with their children, while I might not be quite as successful I am there coaching their sons team and hearing about how dad's not here again cause of meetings.

I realize it's hard to be successful finnancialy and still be a family man. I think this is part of what is wrong with society these days. People chase money instead of their kids. Enjoy the time we are given, we aren't promised tomorrow. The Lord says he will take care of us, but never said it would be easy. That's what I am trying to follow. Sorry about my long post.

A little over a year ago I had a massive heart attack. Upon getting better health wise I got cancer. I lost my job as a LEO due to the doctor not releasing me back to work. I had enough time to draw my pension and health insurance.
It was said on here and I read it while recouping in the hospital and has forever been imbedded in my mind...
“You will run out of health before you will run out of money “.
I just got back from ten days in Hawaii. Doing a fly in Fishing trip in a couple weeks in NW Ontario. Hog hunting in Louisiana. Colorado elk and mule deer. Wyoming mule deer and antelopes. Indiana deer. Midwest waterfowl in the winter.
I am currently working on my wife to sell our home and buy a home in Montana or Wyoming.
I have hunted and fished all over and have never let grass grow on me. I’m stepping on the gas even more nowadays.

rmauch20 hunt by myself now...too many lost hunters and wussies,5Days Az, Javelina hunt 90'+weather,lost 16lbs.Hunt alone..no worries.Here Pig,Pig,Pig!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back