Wyoming Region J bowhunt

guf54

So my brother drew a cow elk tag in what would be unit J for deer. My question is if it would be worth me trying to get a tag in this unit to go after mule deer? Are there many deer in the Medicine Bow National Forest in units 64-65 or are they in the lower ground? I have read some not so glowing reports from this unit but early season bow hunting can be different than most the reports from rifle season. Any advice would be appreciated...I do check my PM's also. Thanks

I was looking at the Wyoming harvest reports and those two areas don't have a good success rate for non resident. That doesn't mean you'll be unsuccessful. I would call the biologist in that area to get a better idea.

I hunted pronghorn there last year. Only saw one antlered deer in a week in what would be deer area 64. We never got up into the NF there though.

If it were me, I'd try to snag a doe pronghorn tag for one of the encompassed units. Depending on when you're going, rifle season may or may not be open.

Last edited:
Yeah, most of the research I've done pointed to it not being a very good unit. I was trying to convince myself that it might be worth a try with my brother already heading that way, and its close proximity to Nebraska didn't hurt either haha. With the draw deadline coming up soon I've been driving myself crazy researching units trying to decide which would be the best to try for and still haven't made up my mind...I might just end up buying a point this year and plan for the future.

Hunted Medicine Bow Forest and the Laramie Peaks last year in 64 and 65. the first 5 days being there and actually camping in the NF didn't see a single Deer. Tons of Elk hunters all over. Seen more elk off Little Medicine Road a whole herd with some nice bulls. I Guess they were coming off the mountain. Ended up traveling over the mountain towards Esterbrook before seeing any deer. talked to some guys that were camping in Esterbrook they found some nice deer in and around that area and mostly by Wheatland. Now 3 years ago there were deer there but very few and we were lucky to get 2 deer. So by day 7 last year we got 2 deer and we really had to look hard for them tons and tons of miles put on the truck traveling and getting out and walking over hills just to see what was on the other side.

Longer season now means better hunting. Hunt it last week and you'll be surprised, rifle season that is.
I know some spots for you.

Back