First DIY Colorado elk archery OTC

DavidPhunts

I'm planning on diy elk hunt in Colorado. I have looked up things on unit 74 and escouted the Hermosa creek wilderness area. Also escouted unit 75/751 in the higher elevations and the west needle mountains area. Just trying to get any helpful information. I plan on a 14 day hunt and hiking miles out to get as far as I can away from roads or trails.

Hi David. How experienced of a backpacker are you?

Are you breaking up the 14 days into multiple trips?

I would like to jump in on this thread, as I will be going on my first backpacking archery elk hunt in CO this year as well. I have backpack hunted muleys before, but never elk. Plan to backpack in and set up camp a couple miles from roads, but not too far to where I can't get an elk out if successful.

I am wondering what kind of tips y'all can provide for finding Elk in the early season. From my research it seems they will be high up on the opener, at tree line or above. Then moving into the timber as the season goes on and pressure increases.

Do you guys typically like to hunt the beginning of Archery season, or wait until mid September when the rut is in full swing?

Should I be looking to spot and stalk in the early part of the season, and then switch to calling as the rut gets going mid September?

What kind of vegetation are you looking for in the early season? What are elk's favorite eats?

Thanks!!

I'm planning on diy elk hunt in Colorado. I have looked up things on unit 74 and escouted the Hermosa creek wilderness area. Also escouted unit 75/751 in the higher elevations and the west needle mountains area. Just trying to get any helpful information. I plan on a 14 day hunt and hiking miles out to get as far as I can away from roads or trails.

I did my first elk hunt in 75/751 in 2016 with a OTC archery tag. I had some of the same ideas when I first started planning a elk hunt " backpack deep in for day's" but after talking with hunter's far more knowledgeable and my personal experiences my game plan changed. I would recommend staying mobile and truck camping at least until you get on the elk and once you find them then decide if bivy camping closer to the herd would be worth it. On my first hunt I spent 2 of 8 nights in a bivy camp the rest at the truck. Also be mindful of your limitations hiking 5 miles from your truck isn't hard packing a entire elk 5 miles by yourself different story. You might consider looking into hiring a packer especially in the north end of 75. But it's not all doom and gloom there are definitely elk in the area I didn't harvest a elk but had a bull at 40 yards with cover between us and a cow broadside at 70 yards ( 50 yards is my personal limitation with a bow).

I'll be back in 75/751 this September hopefully with a muzzleloader tag ( my 1 prefrence point should guarantee the tag ) if not then I'll go the week after muzzleloader with the archery OTC tag. If you have any specific questions on the unit or in general feel free to pm me.

Thanks wildwill that's really helpful I appreciate it. I will consider hiring a packer, the terrain to the north looks pretty rugged and I was planning on hunting 75 in the later days of my hunt.

I'm not too experienced in backpacking. I do a lot of hiking at high elevations 8,000 feet and trail running. Yes I plan on hunting Hermosa creek wilderness first for 7-8 days and then unit 75

Hi David. How experienced of a backpacker are you?

Are you breaking up the 14 days into multiple trips?

I have never hunted 751 but have backpacked the wilderness every August since 2008. I have never seen an elk that wasn't in mountain goat terrain. Something to consider when crafting a pack out strategy since it will probably take a day just to get the meat from the kill site down to a trail.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back