Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Morel help

Grecco

Hi guys went out spring bear hunting today and found only these. As far as I can tell these are black morels. My wife is worried I'm going to get sick. Can anyone tell if these are real morels. I found almost a gallon zip lock bag full.

Attachments

• 0520181724.jpg
    0520181724.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 211
Those aren't good at all. Better send them to me :)

Nah you are good to go. Those are black morels. Good find!

As someone who has gotten ill eating mushrooms identified by a friend based on photos I sent him... It's worthwhile to take it upon yourself to know what you're gathering. Get some books. Learn look-alikes. be safe.

black morels, Morchella species. If associated with a burn, it is more than likely Morchella septimela If they all look like that, your good to go. If any look any different than that, have solid stems/body, gills, or any different texture to the "head" or ascocarps, leave it alone. Some people are allergic to them, but I've collected thousands of black morels here (different subspecies) and never gotten sick. There are many different subspecies of Morchella, but they will have the same traits and look about the same. But it is important to learn about them yourself. I love mushrooms :) My grandma was a herbalist and holistic. She knew tons of medicinal and beneficial plants. Part of her heritage that was passed down throughout the generations. Here is a great book to help you get started. There are many other types of wild mushrooms that get totally ignored by most outdoorsman. I like some of the others, but I'm partial to morels and I think they are the best. Some of the other species are just better suited for cooking into recipes rather than having as a stand alone edible.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Mus...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FPCRFGWRKGZFGF8Y8Y3F

I went out yesterday. First time ever going out hunting for them. Found about a quart bag. There were lots of people out in the burn we checked out. We did end up finding a place that we like to grouse hunt that didn't have any footprints in the mud. We found some bigger ones there. About thumb size or a little bigger. We had fun. We'll do it again. Maybe this weekend. One of my salesman I do business with is from the mid-west and said he found one about half the size of a head once. My brother and I are thinking about taking his drone out this weekend to locate some areas we think may hold them now that we have an idea of what area we will find them in. Get more off the beaten path. Most people seemed to be looking within a few hundred yards of the road.

Backpack elk hunters->backpack morel pickers....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back