Pellet Grills

Mine works pretty well for smoking (low grill temps) in cold outside temps, but for grilling at higher temps it takes a while to get up to temp and burns a lot more pellets, because of that mine doesn't see much winter use. They do make thermal blankets for them to help with cold outside temp and a friend with one says it helps a lot.

Green Mountain Grill (wifi version) here. Did a lot of research on them and felt this unit was the best one for what I wanted and haven't been disappointed yet. Actually LOVE the grill and the taste that it provides.
There are so many pellet grills on the market and really think that its tough to get a bad one if you spend the money.

^^^
this

New Traeger Elite 34 about a month ago. Have used it 3-4 x per week, making ribs, roasts, burgers, hot dogs, antelope/deer/elk steaks. In my opinion it is awesome ( and its not cuz I spent too much $$ on it, as it was a free bonus from work ). Things just taste better, seems to be more precise in temps - definitely easy to use and requires less monitoring than a propane or charcoal grill. I see it able to take the place of an oven, grill and smoker. All that said, my only other grilling experience is with basic propane and charcoal grills.

I have a Traeger and cant believe I lived life without a pellet grill. I am sure you could buy any of the brands and be happy. I won my Traeger so no need to convince myself its awesome. And pellet grills are far superior to flavor compared to Briguette or Propane

My brother-in-law has a traeger. He uses it almost every day during the spring, summer and fall. We process all our game meat and we have smoked bacon, polish sausage, cajun sausage, hotdogs, snack sticks etc. You really can't hang summer sausage and salami in them so we use an electric smoker for that. The big advantage to the pellet stoves like the traeger are the electronic temperature control, no flare ups and the built in meat temperature probes. The only disadvantage I've found is that you can't really sear a steak. Typically we fire up the propane weber to 500 degrees, sear the steak on both sides and finish them off in the traeger. IMO, they are the best at doing the most.

My brother-in-law has a traeger. He uses it almost every day during the spring, summer and fall. We process all our game meat and we have smoked bacon, polish sausage, cajun sausage, hotdogs, snack sticks etc. You really can't hang summer sausage and salami in them so we use an electric smoker for that. The big advantage to the pellet stoves like the traeger are the electronic temperature control, no flare ups and the built in meat temperature probes. The only disadvantage I've found is that you can't really sear a steak. Typically we fire up the propane weber to 500 degrees, sear the steak on both sides and finish them off in the traeger. IMO, they are the best at doing the most.

If you had the Yoder you could do both...
They'll be sending me commission checks soon. :)

This thread pushed me over the edge. I've researched and canvassed my sphere of influence...Pit Boss 820 is heading to my back yard.

This thread pushed me over the edge. I've researched and canvassed my sphere of influence...Pit Boss 820 is heading to my back yard.
Great excuse to go shoot some hogs!! Let me know if you need any help with either the shooting or the eating... :D

Will set back a few 3 finger bone-in rib eyes for you and Buzz.
That'll work too! If I can't get him on board, I'll just find a pay to play and bring the boys down. I'm thinking that might be an Christmas break trip some year...

I have a Yoder YS640, they are spendy but I don't think you will find one that is better built. I had it since October. I use it weekly. They easy to use but there is a little bit of a learning curve with them. Finding pellets you like is very important. They have some radiant grill grates that allow you to cook at higher temps. Pizzas are one of our favorites in them. My only complaint is they don't put a lot of smoke out, which I think is good for most things. If you like heavier smoke I suggest an amazing smoke tube.

I had looked at the lower end Traegers and it felt like they were made with sheet metal. The Yoder is heavy gage steal. I recently looked at the Traeger Timberline series. These seem really solid and well built. If I would do it over I would think twice about it.

The Yoder has its burn pot right by the fan. The Traeger has them in the middle of the grill. I think this helps build more smoke and helps at lower temps.

I have a Traeger and really like the convenience and consistency. Im happy with the purchase. Cook everything from smoked cheese to steaks. That being said, it really lacks is adding smoke, if a smokey flavor is what you're after. I bought a 12" smoke tube to compensate and it does well. Google Traeger lack of smoke and you'll have endless pages to read for upgrades and custom add ons to make it an acceptable smoker.

Had a Traeger and a Green Mountain. Got tired of dealing with the eventual problems both offered, primarily burning back up the auger tube. Bit the bullet and bought a RecTec and havent looked back. Yoder is also good but doesnt have the wifi feature.

I've had a Grilla Grills Silverbac for over a year now and it's been great. I did a lot of research when I was looking and it seemed like the best one for the money.

Another vote for Rec Tec here! My wife was a big time skeptic when we got it, but I think she likes it even more than I do!

I've had a Grilla Grills Silverbac for over a year now and it's been great. I did a lot of research when I was looking and it seemed like the best one for the money.

x2
Just bought one for our parents, used it once on a pork butt and brisket cook a few weeks ago. Very impressed with the stainless construction and it's ability to maintain its temperature settings through a 12 hour cook. Looking forward to more use.

Wife bought me a Smoking Brothers 3 years ago and not had any issues. I’ve done everything from pizza to bacon to veggies on it. We probably use it more than the stove in the house. When we were designing the back porch, we took the grill in to account.
My understanding is that Smokin Brothers worked for Traeger before they moved manufacturing to China.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back