Tikka Question

bholt

This is my fist post as a new member and am looking for some feedback.

I recently bought a T3X Lite, I like it but after firing the bolt is very hard to open. This happens with factory ammo, empty cases, or dry firing, and after cocking the bolt opens and closes like glass. I personally have diagnosed this to the cam in the bolt since it only happens while cocking the firing pin after firing. That said I have contacted Beretta USA (since is less than two months old) and sent it back for warranty, per their recommendations. What I would like to know is have any other Tikka owners had this issue and if so what was the outcome. Beretta says it has been repaired but since I have not seen the repair ticket I don't know what they found or did. I am thinking they may say no problem found and I am going to have to argue with them.

Has not been my experience. I have 3 Tikka T3x and future SIL has 2, and all are smooth (but slightly stiffer than some other older rifles I have).

I have not experienced it, but it almost sounds like you have a tighter fitting chamber.

I thought about that but why does it happen after firing, whether it be factory ammo, dry firing etc. once it is cocked the bolt runs smooth as silk.

I've had 5 or 6 Tikkas and shot a few others. I had one T3x that was noticeably stiffer than others as you describe. I never worried about it, shot a few hundred rounds through it, killed some animals, etc. Maybe yours is stiffer than mine was (wait, what?) but mine was not at a problematic level, just noticeable.

I have a T3x lite and have never had a problem. Google says it could be the shroud or the action could need better lubrication (grease). Hopefully Tikka CS can help you.

I saw the repair ticket today it states the following: Inspected firearm and noted customers concerns. I have adjusted the headspace and test fired 3 rounds of 140g Hornady ELD match encountering no malfunctions.
5/18/18 JCW
Not a gunsmith by any means but how is headspace come into play when dry firing on an empty cartridge or no cartridge at all. I'm just trying to understand.

After firing the gun or pulling the trigger you are cocking the rifle to reset the firing pin. It's going to be harder to lift than just cycling the bolt with out pulling the trigger. Maybe you have a stiffer spring than normal. When you say hard to lift can you quantify the effort required to lift the bolt? Maybe put a fish scale hook into hole on the end of the bolt handle and watch and see what weight it takes to lift the bolt. This would give a quantitative value that maybe others with this rifle can test too and see if you really have a problem that is different from other t3 X Lite guns.

Just a thought to try to help out with your question.

bholt,

Did they already send the rifle back to you, or did they just email you the repair ticket? If you already got it back, is it improved any?

You are right to question the headspace comment. The issue you were having was unrelated to the headspace. Additionally the headspace on a factory Tikka barreled action is not adjustable without machining the barrel (or bolt), or swapping out the barrel or bolt. If the tech mistakenly wrote "adjusted" but actually meant "tested" that would make more sense.

What is causing the bolt lift to be heavy is cocking the firing pin. The easiest thing to try to improve that would be first to grease the ramp on the underside of the rear of the bolt that the firing pin cocking piece rides on. Next you could try to polish those two surfaces. If that doesn't help at all, I would bet there is some contact between the firing pin assembly and the inside of the bolt. You could also grease the rear of the bolt lugs a little, there is some pressure on them from the firing pin when you are lifting after dry firing and if they are REALLY grabby it could cause an issue.

If you have the gun in hand (and it still has the issue), try swapping out the bolt for a different Tikka bolt as a diagnostic measure - if you can get a hold of one.

After firing the gun or pulling the trigger you are cocking the rifle to reset the firing pin. It's going to be harder to lift than just cycling the bolt with out pulling the trigger. Maybe you have a stiffer spring than normal. When you say hard to lift can you quantify the effort required to lift the bolt? Maybe put a fish scale hook into hole on the end of the bolt handle and watch and see what weight it takes to lift the bolt. This would give a quantitative value that maybe others with this rifle can test too and see if you really have a problem that is different from other t3 X Lite guns.

I spent a few minutes poking around the gun safe with a scale. The following data hopefully provides some context, but given the difficulty of keeping the scale hook in in the same position throughout the pull in light of the differently tapered and varying bolt handle length this data is only directional at best. All measurements were done with an empty chamber.

Rifle / Uncocked / Cocked
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ruger American Predator .223Rem / 6lbs / 13 lbs
Weatherby Vanguard 2 25-06 / 2lbs / 10 lbs
Savage Axis 30-06 / 6lbs / 13lbs
Savage SS Model 16 7mm08 / 3lbs / 9lbs
Ruger 77 Haweye .308 / 3lbs / 9lbs
Tikka T3X 7mm08 / 2lbs / 11lbs
Tikka T3X .308 / 2lbs / 12lbs
Tikka T3X 300WSM / 2lbs / 11lbs

Last edited:

I've got two Tikka's, a T3 lite stainless and a T3x hunter, both bolts operate like that.

Ok thanks for everyone's input and support. I got t he gun back the other day from Beretta and sure enough it operates much "GOODER". The gunsmith on the service ticket said he read my comments, inspected the gun, adjusted the head spacing. I must admit I was apprehensive, but I have dry fired it and used a spent cartridge and it is much GOODER as I say. Now I intend to learn more about head spacing, because I thought I knew what the problem was and I was wrong ,(thanks twice this year) and I dont' like it.

Thanks again

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back