Stand Your Ground In Grizzly Country!

Gerald Martin

This is bear country! Apparently, from the number of signs posted by Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks and from reputation among other hunters, the piece of ground Timothy and I were scouting yesterday, can be grizzly central at certain times of the year.

Having a healthy respect for grizzlies and knowing there have been several serious maulings in the past couple of years, I put Timothy in charge of our single can of bear spray and instructed him to keep close and remain vigilant.

The terrain was interesting, deer sign was commonplace and I was getting excited about potential hunting prospects for this fall when Timothy's excited whisper jolted me to a sudden rearrangement of priority.

"Dad! Right there!" I knew by his tone it was serious and didn't move a muscle. Turns out it was a good call.

There he was! Ten yards away, unaware of us, head down and feeding. I judged him to be large male based on body size and disposition. To my relied he was upwind at the moment. Time slowed to a crawl as I noticed the way his fur rippled in the breeze and the way the sun shimmered off the tips of his fur.

Most predators have a perimeter where they don't react to perceived threats, but I knew we were in the realm of AT&T "reach out and touch someone", close.

Knowing we couldn't run without alerting him to our presence and being reluctant by personal nature to run from any animal, I decided to hold our ground and hope he moved away.

Just then I felt the wind on the back of my neck and knowing discovery was inevitable I raised my video camera to capture the outcome. Whether my son Timothy might be remembered in association with another unfortunate character who had the same first name as he did and the last name of Treadwell, was out of my hands now.

As our scent hit his nostrils, his head slowly raised and his beady little eyes met mine. There was no hesitation at all as he stomped his front feet and exploded towards us....

Words can't express the drama of the next few moments as well as video can so I'll let you see for yourself the trauma of what we went through....[video=youtube;eOCNw95FWAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOCNw95FWAs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Might have to change your handle to: Pepe Lepew, pending Cushman approval of course :hump:

I've never seen skunk behaivor like that. Wonder if there was anything off about him.

I have skunk visitors regularly eating my cat's food. I agree that is not normal behavior. Most retreat immediately.

Aggressive little sucker.

My Dad, daughter and I were camping/fishing at Cave Lake years ago and there was a skunk or two foraging in our camp fire pit for bits and pieces at night. Heard him, just didn't know where he was. Got up one night to piss on the fire coz it was so dark I really couldn't see anything else, plus the brandy....anyways started relieving myself and happened to look down...there was the little turd right at my feet with a stream missing his head by inches! Scared the livin' stuff right out of me! I backed off werry, werry, slowly without any troubles. Next night I got up to do the same but this time he was under Dad's truck where we'd banished him because he snored like a freight train. Without really thinking, I picked up a camp shoe and winged at him offhand...bam! I nailed the little turd. Next day, talking to Dad, I asked him how he slept last night? Fine, he says, except a little bastard of a skunk let loose under my truck! Ahhh, outdoor adventures, don't ya just love them?

Haha! Great video Gerald. Very suspenseful.

I was point-blanked by a skunk in the chest and face in Bonner, Montana while walking around my garage late one night. It was traumatic.

I'm glad you and your son made it out alive.

My dog and I ran into a skunk two weekends ago in the middle of the trail; I slammed on the brakes, jumped off my bike, grabbed the dog and slowly started backing away, the dog was barking and that little bastard chased us about 20 yards down the trail despite the barking and me yelling at it...

sooo this video seems totally consistent with my sunk interactions lol...

also the music selection is amazing...

I had one chase me through the woods when I was out shed hunting with dad when I was about 10-11. He acted a lot like this one. Brave little thing. Me, not so much. I sounded a lot like a school girl screaming and crying over seeing the latest boy band. Not one of my finest moments in the woods. Dad still laughs...

This is why we need the napalm forest restoration act of 2018 to pass immediately. The only thing these man-eaters understand is a petroleum jelly set on fire and dropped on their homes.

It's what Randolph Scott would have done.

I had one chase me through the woods when I was out shed hunting with dad when I was about 10-11. He acted a lot like this one. Brave little thing. Me, not so much. I sounded a lot like a school girl screaming and crying over seeing the latest boy band. Not one of my finest moments in the woods. Dad still laughs...

hahahaha dying!

Hilarious video gerald! The intro was great!

This is why we need the napalm forest restoration act of 2018 to pass immediately. The only thing these man-eaters understand is a petroleum jelly set on fire and dropped on their homes.

It's what Randolph Scott would have done.

This Randolph Scott you speak of... Is he sensitive enough to send an advance notice to the whitetails in that area to evacuate before said napalming? I think that a good napalming might take care of the grizzly problem as well as the skunks. If we can get Randolph Scott to shoot a Yeti with 25lbs. of Tannerite and blow a drone out of the sky with the explosion, there's no way Tester could beat him in the general election.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back