Yeti GOBOX Collection

Youth Hunting Applications

TheWanderer

As this application season is winding down I am thinking (way) ahead. But, kids grow up quick.

In the hopes that my kids (4 and 6) will want to join me on hunting trips are there any states I can start accumulating points for them before they reach legal hunting age?

Thanks.

In Oregon you can start getting them mentored points at age 9. You can also get them point savers at age 9. The mentored points can be converted to a certain species at any time. I started both my boys at age 9 (they're 12 and 14 now) and my 14 year old should draw one of the best deer tags in the state this year. My 12 year old hasn't decided if he'll use his points for deer or elk yet.

I've also started getting them points in UT and WY but I believe that's at age 11 when applying and 12 by end of that year.

You can now build points for anyone age 1 or older in MT.

IF you are looking for a fantastic youth hunting opportunity Kansas allows the kids to hunt before anyone else in September. There are some great public land opportunities since you do not have to compete against other adult hunters.

IF you are looking for a fantastic youth hunting opportunity Kansas allows the kids to hunt before anyone else in September. There are some great public land opportunities since you do not have to compete against other adult hunters.

I was planning on calling about this...Is it a rifle season in the early hunt?

I was planning on calling about this...Is it a rifle season in the early hunt?

Yes.

I believe Kansas results posted today, at least I got my e-mail with the receipt for the tag.

Another unique youth season is Nebraska Turkey as they have youth only seasons as well and tags are less than $10.

My son is five years old. Does anyone have any thoughts on is it worth it or not to start now building points for the trophy species?

I guess that’s up to the individual but I have three young boys and I’m not applying them for sheep/moose/goat. Costs are high for each bonus point and the squaring of points makes it tough for new applicants who enter the field 15+ points behind. They will continually “lose ground” to those at the top and there are a bunch (a whole bunch) of people ahead of them. Not worth it in my opinion.

My son is five years old. Does anyone have any thoughts on is it worth it or not to start now building points for the trophy species?

My father-n-law started buying points for my brother-n-law the 1st year he was allowed to, at 30 years old my brother-n-law had max points and got to hunted the best elk, deer, and pronghorn units in CO. I think he feels like it was a good idea ;)

I guess that’s up to the individual but I have three young boys and I’m not applying them for sheep/moose/goat. Costs are high for each bonus point and the squaring of points makes it tough for new applicants who enter the field 15+ points behind. They will continually “lose ground” to those at the top and there are a bunch (a whole bunch) of people ahead of them. Not worth it in my opinion.

Cost is certainly an issue and I won't fault anyone for not want to buy points for that reason, but your logic on the second part is totally flawed. Your sons aren't competing with guys hunting now, they are competing for tags with people in their age cohort. When your boys are 30-40 they will have 25+ points and the guys who have 15 points now will be dead or no longer able to hunt. You aren't buying them points so they will be able to hunt in 5-10 years you are buying them points so that they might have a crack at a sheep or moose tag in their lifetime.

You aren't buying them points so they will be able to hunt in 5-10 years you are buying them points so that they might have a crack at a sheep or moose tag in their lifetime.

Correct. But under a system where points are squared (or cubed, like in SD now), those ahead need to die before the new applicant has a reasonable chance. That decent tag opportunity will most likely not come around until the end of the applicant's hunting life. Seems crazy to me to dump something like $75 for a sheep point each year in the hope that your kid "might have a crack" when they're like 70 or so. But, hey, it's a personal decision. I suppose the states are hoping that applicants will share wllm's view and not mine.

It's nuts where these point schemes have taken us. They're always sold as an opportunity to reward faithful applicants, but now we're talking about shelling out $$$ so that our preschool children have a puncher's chance at a sheep tag before they're pushing up daisies. It's out of control. And I have a bunch of points in multiple states. I'm part of the problem, I realize. But it's messed up and getting worse.

Last edited:
It's nuts where these point schemes have taken us.

100% agree... personally if I was god, I would link all the state systems, make it so you can only apply for one permit per species across the country (big three + trophy deer and elk) and make everything a straight lottery. You want to hunt Missouri breaks then you don't get to put in for Valle Vidal.

Flip side though, is that state fish and game agencies get most of their money through license sales and these schemes are designed to get the most money possible NOT to provide hunter opportunity and to be quite frank I'm 100% okay applying my entire life in 3 states and never drawing a sheep tag because as much as I want to go chase them I value sheep being on the mountain more than I value a head on my wall...

I have the same mixed feelings. I know these things are revenue generators and the state game agencies live and operate in an environment of enormous budget pressures. But, man, this is getting crazy.

1. It is crazy to have to consider points for my kids when they're this young. I understand they're less hunters than xyz years ago. So with elk where populations are often better than they were xyz years ago how does it seem increasingly difficult to get tags in many situations. Just everyone putting in for the same stuff everywhere diluting the pool? More people going on multiple elk hunts instead of one trip every once in a while?

It is such a dichotomy to compare the east and west. So many states east of the Mississippi (I live in Delaware) are unlimited tags for whitetails. Here we're allowed 2 buck tags and as many doe tags as you want to buy. Your license comes with four.

2. Idaho does have it right. You apply for trophy species or elk and deer. Straight draw. I drew elk last year so I'm blacked out of the draw this year. Completely ok with that. But still with OTC areas.

3. I'm 34 and I don't have any intent to get in the points game for sheep. I'm on board for supporting conservation even with species I may never get to hunt for. I'm considering doing that <1 club with WSF. But someday when I want/get to do a sheep hunt I'll prob just go to AK/BC and foot the bill for my one sheep trip.

Will look into the KS hunt and MT points. Have no intention to build trophy species points for my kids but a deer and/or antelope hunt sounds right. Despite being on the east coast I actually shot my first buck outside Big Timber, MT on a family trip. After 3 years of hunting in PA big woods and not seeing a buck the wide open spaces and easily visible deer really lift your spirits when you're a junior hunter.

My 10yo started getting points in AZ for deer, elk, pronghorn this year as well as black bear points in MI.

I too hate the system, but it's the hand dealt...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back